Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue)
Date: Fri Dec 7 21:36:09 1990

To: ucsd!rec-music-gaffa
From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hil}Il)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Neil Young and Kate Bush
Date: 8 Dec 90 05:36:05 GMT
Sender: root@crash.cts.com

I read a little while back about a list of famous Kate fans and have a
possible suggestion - Neil Young.  He has never mentioned Kate (as far as I
know) in interviews or anything but I have had a feeling lately that he must
be a fan.  I am slightly prejudiced in this view as he is right now my second
favorite "current" artist and his new album is my favorite album of the year
and his album last year (Freedom) tied with Kate's (The Sensual World, but
then again you knew that :-) ) as favorite album last year.  What is the
evidence, well after doing intensive reasearch (listening to Neil's latest
album "Ragged Glory" 100 times since it came out a couple of months ago) here
it is.
On Neil's song "F*!#IN UP" (which is literaly the title although he sings it
without "bleeping it out) he sings in a section which is, I believe, about
"Love":
Dogs that lick and dogs that bite
Hounds that howl, through the night
Broken leashes all over the floor
Keys left hanging on a swinging door

On another song "Love and only Love
" oops - which I think is about the sixties compared to today he sings:
Long ago in the book of old
Before the chapter where dreams onfold
A battle raged on the open page
Love was a winner there
Overcoming hate
Like a little girl who couldn't wait.

The question is, who is this "little girl"  I think that he might be refering
to Kate.  The reason is that, to me, Kate is one of the few artist who
"couldn't wait" for the values of the sixties to come back into style and one
of the few who seem to represent those values more so than the more hateful
values (cynism, hate, rebellion for rebellion sake, etcs) that many of the
"sixties type" artists of today represent.  Also there is on his song "Don't
Spook the Horse" (A b-side recorded at the same time as the rest of the album)
this line:
There a pretty little girl who is living down there
Down on her daddy's farm

There are also many farm-type references throughout the album of places where
"peace and love live there still" (Mansion on the Hill).  I am not suggesting
that all of these are meant to be taken as literaly about Kate, as a matter of
fact, since some of the references are sexual in nature it might have been
offesive to do so.  What I am suggesting is that Neil may have become a fan of
her music recently and may be drawing some inspiration from it and twisting it
around for his own purposes.  My biggest "evidence" is that this album is by
far the most Kate-like of his albums that I have heard as it is his first
album in a long time that is very uplifting and very hopeful in the face of
adversity, which is of course what Kate's album are usually about.  This is
particularly inspiring in the face of his past music which, though much of it
is great, tends to be often cynical or depressing (not that that means I
don't like it!!!).
   Anyways its just a theory, all I really know is that whenever I hear the
album, I am reminded of Kate (especially "Love and only Love")....

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com