Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

BucKeTs o' Stuff

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 13:39:10 EST
Subject: BucKeTs o' Stuff

It's been quite a nice week for KT stuff here.  Not only did a friend
find a copy of _The Whole Story_ biography for us but our order arrived from
Burning Airlines with, well, bucKeTs o' stuff, including the _Visual
Documentary_.

----

Neil Calton notes:

> Just a small point about the box sets. Nobody has mentioned the fact that
> as the LPs are on 3 discs and the CDs on two, you get an extra photo of
> Kate on the sleeve of the third TWW LP.

You've convinced me.  I'll buy the LP set as well as the CDs just for
the larger booklet and the extra picture.  Of course then I'll have
to complain that I was ripped off...   Now if only my importer would
come the promised LP set. <sigh>

-----

David N. Blank writes:

> Someone predicted that she would be much speedier in her output,
> thanks a piano-driven style.  Here's an alternative reading:
>   Perhaps the B-sides will get put out a bit slowly.  Perhaps she
> will tour on her boxed set/b-sides release. Most other groups that put
> out sets seem to be doing this deal?  Whadd'ya think, Watson?

I would be surprised.  First of all it will be much too late to
promote the boxed set and the rumored B-sides only release was rumored
only as an American release.

I'm guessing that any tour will be pushed out far enough to accommodate
the release of a new album.  Soon after the tour I imagine that we'll
see at least a live video of it and possible a live album as well.
Why?   Because the Bush clan's irritation with bootlegs was evident in
Lisa's remarks at the convention and the only way to avert bootlegs is
to release an official version of your own.

-----

Chris of Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago writes:

>   Those who are concerned can rest easy that someone close to Kate
> is aware that not everyone is happy with the Box Set, though I'm
> afraid I may have made a bit of an ass of myself in the process.

And I hope that if this news is passed along, it's passed along with a
word of advice that trying to please everyone will lead to nothing but
grey hair.

> [Discussion of why Kate wouldn't want her performance bootlegged]
>   Lisa replied that "Well, it's a violation of trust, isn't it?" I
> believe I looked very skeptical as she changed her tack and said,
> "Well it's really the loss of control."

Bingo.  How anyone could think that Kate could approve of people
making money by selling recordings of her that do not meet her
standards is beyond me.

>   This brought about the question of who controlled the box set,
> Kate or EMI. She said EMI, and I pointed out that EMI said the final
> decision had been Kate's. She didn't reply to that and I said that
> Andy and Derek had put together a very good set that had been rejected.

It's doubtful that EMI ever saw Andy and Derek's list before the Anthology
was carved in stone.  Their list also contained many items that would
have been difficult to secure rights to and others that obviously
would not have met Kate's standards without a great deal of work if at
all.

>   I believe I may have gotten a little frantic in telling her that the
> Box Set was a "God-Damn rip-off". Well, it was a very emotional day.

Ahem.  I've spoken about this before so I'll try not to belabor the
point.  The Anthology may not have been the collection of unavailable
recordings that some would have liked to have seen but that does not
make it a rip-off.  There is some question of highly variable pricing
but I doubt that Kate had any input on that.

>   I'm in the process of writing a nice little note of apology, as was
> suggested by David Cross. Our feelings are not stopping us from buying
> _two_ box sets, though.

<sigh> Why do I have trouble mustering sympathy when you buy two of
something and then complain that it's a rip-off?

> The Club newsletter was an enormous rip-off for
> American fans for a number of years (one year passed without a single
> newsletter).

Now this I can agree with.  A product was being sold that simply did
not exist for at least a year.  Where fans expected to renew their
memberships after this year of silence?

----

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris) writes:

> I'd rather an English Love-hound were to send Peter the printouts
> because he'd get them faster and wouldn't have to pay so much for
> overseas airmail rates. I've asked Neil Calton and if he can't then

How silly of me.  Sometimes these wondrous electronic devices cause
me to forget that there is a large body of water between here and The
Land of Our Lady and that the postal service charges a princely sum to
carry large bundles of printouts across it.  Well, it's the thought
that counts!

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com