Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various KaTe relaTed sTuff

From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 17:32:02 PST
Subject: Various KaTe relaTed sTuff

CD sound quality:

It has already been mentioned that some of the boxed set CD booklets are
printed on thinner paper than the non-box import CD booklets (LH and TD are
most noticeable).  Has anyone tried to make a concerted effort to determine if
there are sound quality differences as well?  I sometimes wonder if I search
too hard for such differences but I want to make sure I keep the best sounding
KaTe CDs.  I do not believe that discs of the same album always sound the
same.  It depends on which company pressed them.  That is why I specialize in
import discs. If you have any comments please let me know what you have
deduced or noticed.  I suspect that the box LH and NFE are slighlty inferior
to my other import pressings.

Prices for the box set:

I have noticed that prices for the boxed set vary all over creation.  Some
places are probably profiting very little, others a lot.  What bothers me most
is that the price in Canada is half that in the UK and they are the same sets.
Did EMI really mean that to happen?  I would like to collate a table of  how
much people paid or how much you have seen the set for, and at what locations.
I am not interested in who paid what just what stores are asking for it and
where the stores are.  If you have posted such info before please could you
email me with it again (especially those incredible Canadian prices).  I will
tabulate and post the findings at a later date.  Please send it in the
following form :
price in your currency,sales tax rate if not included in price, store, city,
country

e.g. in my own case

$US174.99, 7.25%, CDSounds, San Diego CA, USA
$US199.99, 7.25%, Off the Record, San Diego CA, USA
$US169.99, 7.25%, Lou's Records, Encinitas CA, USA

It would be nice to get info from around the world.  I might write to EMI
asking why UK and US fans have been stiffed so.

A separate 2 disc release of TWW:

I disagree with Jon Drukman regarding a separate CBS release of the boxed
set's extra track discs.  I don't think they should do it even if they could
(don't forget CBS own the rights to only 5 of the 29 tracks).  I am not sure
they would pay the necessary amount to EMI America/Manhattan to get the rights
to those rather obscure-to-the-average-American-music-buyer material.  Myself
I would be very angry if they did appear having bought the full box and
already owning the import CDs.  Even worse would be a separate EMI release of
the two discs in the UK.  It would ber such an insult to her fans who have
already purchased the set.  I would expect EMI to get a lot of VERY angry
letters if they did.  I would certainly send one.

Please send info you have to offer to me at the address below. Thanks

Derek
derek@sunstroke.sdsu.edu