Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 4ad list

From: think!ames!decwrl!zinn.mv.com!decvax!mem@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mark E. Mallett)
Date: 9 Nov 90 13:48:12 EST (Fri)
Subject: Re: 4ad list

woj <woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu> says:

> i repeast that there already is a mailing list for the 4ad label.

I wonder if this is the 4ad list that I remember from a couple of
years ago.  That list (if I'm thinking of the right one) had a
membership requirement: you had to make a certain number of postings
per time period (e.g., month).  This seemed, to me, to encourage noise
and discourage propagation.  I was allowed to lurk for a little while,
but not having much to contribute, was booted.  It was informative;
unfortunately you already had to have information before belonging.

I think we had a lot of harangues here about that list; my feeling was
that they could organize it in whatever way they wanted.  The list was
meant to be a panel of experts, so only experts were welcome.  Didn't
do much for anybody that wanted to simply get information, though.

-mm-
---
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett
uucp: mem@zinn.MV.COM  (  ...{decvax|elrond|harvard}!zinn!mem   )
Northern MA and Southern NH consultants:  Ask (in mail!) about MV.COM