Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Spending money in London

From: Laura Clifford <lcliffor@cc7.bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 12:46:57 EST
Subject: Spending money in London

>I asked how much walking-around money I should plan on taking.
>PJ>It is hard to say how much money...it depends on your lifestyle. Central
>PJ>London is expensive; plan on everything costing as much as or more than
>PJ>what you're used to. I should also mention VAT-value added tax. It is
>PJ>15%, and is on almost everything-it adds up. There are convoluted ways
>PJ>to get refunds, but, unless you're planning on buying something
>PJ>really expensive, don't bother.

I just returned from London (which is why, sadly, I can't make the
convention).  I would easily say that things are TWICE as expensive
as they are here.  The pound was going for $2.04 when I left.  A pizza
was about $20.  You must spend $300 in Harrods before they'll bother
to make up a VAT slip for you.

Also, there are some 'relatively' reasonable places to stay in
Knightsbridge.  The Willett Hotel in Sloane Squ. is about $130 for
a double including full breakfast.  It also has two sister hotels
in the area, one of which is the Diplomat.

Have fun all - I envy you.
Laura Clifford