Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: HERESY

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 12:00:33 -0500
Subject: Re: HERESY
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: E Welsh <evan@castle.ed.ac.uk>

>In article <9011072212.AA15483@gaffa.MIT.EDU> Jon Drukman
><jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU> writes:
>>On another note, why is everybody so hung up on having KT play live?
>>I don't see how it could possibly be a good thing, given the textural
>>complexities of her later songs.  I'd MUCH rather have her lock
>>herself in her garden shed and create some more aural tapestries than
>>to see her strutting her stuff on stage producing what could only be a
>>pale shadow of her TRUE art.  Can't you take the hint from the Secret
>>Policeman's Ball version of "Running Up That Hill"?  Where's the magic
>>in that?
>
>OK point taken. She sounded nackered and G's guitar spoilt the song -
>although usually he's great, like on Rocket's Tail.

Anyone can be great in the studio with tons of time available for
retakes, multi-tracked solos, etc...

>But!!! I would refer you to the performance of Breathing on the Comic
>Relief video. Awesome!

But!!!  I've seen it.  Boring!  Naff and boring!  Screw this "modern
day folk song" stuff.  I hate people sitting at their pianos and
belting out heartfelt songs, it really annoys me.  "Breathing" without
the synths and voiceovers is like a day without sunshine: dark.

>And who says she has to play her later songs? I
>would be just as happy to see a few old songs in there.

I guess so, but I've already seen them live (well, live on video,
anyway.)  Many times, in fact.  I need NEW SENSATIONS.

"Make my funk the p-funk, cos I wants to get funked up!"

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |