Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Kjetil T. Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 1990 19:48:54 +0100

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil T. Homme)
Subject: Re: Amarok
Sender: kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil T. Homme)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 18:48:38 GMT

In article <9911.9010301350@dylan.essex.ac.uk> Dewhurst N E J <neil@essex.ac.uk> writes:

   Mark E. Mallett writes:
   >> Robert C. Sinkovic sez:

   >>	Has anyone heard the new AMAROK CD by Mike Oldfield?

   >...I listened to a borrowed copy of Amarok.  My friend, from
   >whom I borrowed it, and also a die-hard Oldfield fan, told me I could
   >keep it.  I agree with his judgement of it.  It's simply awful.
   >Here's hoping he goes back to trying to make good, instead of pop,
   >music.

   >I'm only responding because I've seen only one other reply to your
   >question, and that reply was positive (i.e., the person liked the
   >album).

   That was me. I suspect you're confusing "Amarok" with the album
   before it, "Earth Moving", which fits your description
   exactly. In fact, you flatter it.

   "Earth Moving" is a collection of piss-poor pop songs, a la "Islands", but
   if anything actually worse: "Amarok" is a long instrumental piece, a la
   "Ommadawn", and IMHO in the same league, though less coherent. I
   think the record you heard was the former.

   Feel free to roundly abuse me if I'm wrong :-].

I agree with you on 'Earth Moving', it *is* dismal. But I have to say that
Amarok is even worse... He seems to think that no theme should last any
longer than 30 seconds. Most of it is just noise, interspersed with some
whining guitar themes which hardly can be rated very original.

On the other hand, there are people who actually enjoy listening to
Celtic Frost or Laibach, so why not Amarok?

"oooh, he's here again..."

--
 <*_*> //  Kjetil T. Homme       "I always read between the lies"
  /|\  //  kjetilho@ifi.uio.no                  (Goodman Ace)