Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

annotations redivivus

From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 07:42:53 CST
Subject: annotations redivivus

in honor of her-really-is-ness's life retrospective, i'm dipping back into
the long-neglected lyrics-annotation project. (hey, nrc, you didn't take
that gurdjieff-fight personally, did ya?)

having done, more or less, tki and one album of early demos, it's on to
lionheart:

Symphony in Blue:
improbable literary allusion: William Gass wrote a book of philosophy (?)
called "On Being Blue" that explored the metaphors blue lends itself to.

What do you all make of this paragraph:
"When that feeling of meaninglessness, sets in,
Go blowing my mind on God                         [_who_ goes???]
The light in the dark with the neon arms  [god is a phosphene?]
The meek He seeks, the beast He calms  [nice, but so _christian_]
The head of the good soul Department." [heaven as a bureaucracy?]

Generally, the message seems to be about "cosmic sonsciousness"?

In Search of Peter Pan
How old is the speaker?
"She whispers that I am a poor kid"  Is this consoling, or insulting?
Who is the "they" who took the game right out of it?
Who is Dennis?
"My eyes are full" of hope? of tears?  of love? (face/empty ditto)

I see a brother and sister, pre-teen, with her suffering from kids' cruelty
at school?

Wow
KT acknowledges that this is for Lindsey Kemp, a gay actor and dancer whom
she studied with.  I have pointed out that his only known film role was in
"The Wicker Man" where he played the pub-keeper and dressed as a fool for
their festival.

Is the Sweeney a theater?
Who's the 'we' alone on the stage?
Who's the you we're not afraid of?
Who told us we weren't afraid?  Why did we need to be told?
What does the theatrical-illusion imagery have to do with the rest of the
story?
(i'm confused...)