Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Amarok

From: Dewhurst N E J <neil@essex.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 13:50:37 GMT
Subject: Re: Amarok
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Mark E. Mallett writes:

>Really-From: think!ames!decwrl!decvax!zinn.MV.COM!mem@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mark E. Mallett)

>> Robert C. Sinkovic sez:

>>	Has anyone heard the new AMAROK CD by Mike Oldfield?

>...I listened to a borrowed copy of Amarok.  My friend, from
>whom I borrowed it, and also a die-hard Oldfield fan, told me I could
>keep it.  I agree with his judgement of it.  It's simply awful.
>Here's hoping he goes back to trying to make good, instead of pop,
>music.

>I'm only responding because I've seen only one other reply to your
>question, and that reply was positive (i.e., the person liked the
>album).

That was me. I suspect you're confusing "Amarok" with the album
before it, "Earth Moving", which fits your description
exactly. In fact, you flatter it.

"Earth Moving" is a collection of piss-poor pop songs, a la "Islands", but
if anything actually worse: "Amarok" is a long instrumental piece, a la
"Ommadawn", and IMHO in the same league, though less coherent. I
think the record you heard was the former.

Feel free to roundly abuse me if I'm wrong :-].

	--
     N e i l  D e w h u r s t | ARPA neil%essex.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
     neil@uk.ac.essex         | UUCP ...!mcvax!ukc!uk.ac.essex!neil