Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Amarok

From: think!ames!decwrl!decvax!zinn.MV.COM!mem@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mark E. Mallett)
Date: 24 Oct 90 16:42:53 EDT (Wed)
Subject: Amarok

> Robert C. Sinkovic sez:

>	Has anyone heard the new AMAROK CD by Mike Oldfield? If so,
> what are your impressions (i.e. inrelation to his other works, such
> as Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, etc.)?

Yes, I have heard it.  It's long been my practice to buy Oldfield
albums simply because they are Oldfield albums, without having to hear
them ahead of time.  They've been getting progressively worse,
progressively pop.  "Islands" (which I bought) convinced me to be more
cautious, so I listened to a borrowed copy of Amarok.  My friend, from
whom I borrowed it, and also a die-hard Oldfield fan, told me I could
keep it.  I agree with his judgement of it.  It's simply awful.
Here's hoping he goes back to trying to make good, instead of pop,
music.

I'm only responding because I've seen only one other reply to your
question, and that reply was positive (i.e., the person liked the
album).  Go figure..

-mm-
---
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett
uucp: mem@zinn.MV.COM  (  ...{decvax|elrond|harvard}!zinn!mem   )
Northern MA and Southern NH consultants:  Ask (in mail!) about MV.COM