Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TKI

From: BDGLCHST@AC.DAL.CA
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 04:10 AST
Subject: Re: TKI

Extracted-News: dal1 rec.music.gaffa:6041

> From: dsac!discg1!izslr03@cis.ohio-state.edu (thomas coleman)

>     This weekend I found a used copy of The Kick Inside. Previously,
>I had only heard Kate's last three albums (by owning them). Her last
>three albums I consider extraordinary. The Kick Inside is very good,
>but falls short in several ways. Her immaturity (still very mature
>for a teenager) shows relative to her newer albums, particularly in
>her vocals. The instrumentation is fairly pedestrian, although I do
>enjoy her piano work. Mind you, this is all relative in KT terms! I
>had to get used to her many and varied vocal capabilities on the
>Dreaming (the first KT I bought). Now I have to get used to her
>(relatively) immature voice, which is soprano (?) unlike most Pop and
>rock singers (especially unlike most that I LIKE). But I appreciate
>the talent there.  I see why she tried another version of Wuthering
>Heights. She almost seems to be parodying on The Kick Inside. But
>then I am used to the Pat Benatar version.

Excuse me what is the Pat Benetar version,  I haven't heard it...
As for TKI,  i think it's the second best album after HOL.
that is not immaturity its frehness originality
freshness is difficult to achieve
KaTe was pressured into Lionheart (her weakest) by the company
so now she spends her time
I am really kind of tired of people saying The Dreaming is the best because it
is the most  for several reasons
1. The most female - not true listen to TSW
2. Most experimental - i think NFE was more experimental and better
3. The weirdest - i think that is the real reason
The dreaming is so unclassifiable that it defies description
it is like the arguement that because something is more complex it is better
wrong wrong wrong
listen to the man with the child in his eyes
then ask about maturity
and simplicity
HOL is by far and away the best ALBUM because naturally (The 9th wave) it is
the most cohesive
but for the best songs you have to scan all of her works
my favourite just happens to be Love and Anger - Dave G rules !
but there are so many more
it is not really prudent to classify one as better coz this is so personal
but i feel that it is necessary to reply when someone says TKI is immature
the REAL reason KaTe did a 2nd vocal of wuthering heights was that the old
production sounded so '70's' in her own words.
I personally think that her voice was more enchanting, lovable and higher in
the earlier days.  However,  she has now gained more range, strength, and
control.  It is a progression like her music.  No one phase is more
important than any other.  They are all cuts of an incredible career.
See the big picture.  The dreaming definately has its place as a landmark of
production freedom and mystique,  but I'll take the fresh attitude anyday
Just my 2cents.
 Please send all flames,  agrees,  anything  to BDGLCHST@DALAC
ps. which of you have seen KT live????
does it affect how much you like the early stuff..????   I bet it does....