Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TKI

From: dsac!discg1!izslr03@cis.ohio-state.edu (thomas coleman)
Date: 22 Oct 90 14:56:25 GMT
Subject: TKI
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.misc

     This weekend I found a used copy of The Kick Inside. Previously,
I had only heard Kate's last three albums (by owning them). Her last
three albums I consider extraordinary. The Kick Inside is very good,
but falls short in several ways. Her immaturity (still very mature for
a teenager) shows relative to her newer albums, particularly in her
vocals. The instrumentation is fairly pedestrian, although I do enjoy
her piano work. Mind you, this is all relative in KT terms! I had to
get used to her many and varied vocal capabilities on the Dreaming
(the first KT I bought). Now I have to get used to her (relatively)
immature voice, which is soprano (?) unlike most Pop and rock singers
(especially unlike most that I LIKE). But I appreciate the talent
there.  I see why she tried another version of Wuthering Heights. She
almost seems to be parodying on The Kick Inside. But then I am used to
the Pat Benatar version.
   All in all, very much worth listening to many times over, but in a
whole other realm from The Dreaming, Hounds Of Love and The Sensual
World.  If you want to hear a young Kate in a more basic setting, this
is wonderful.
  3 1/2 of 5 stars in my book.