Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Buying albums twice

From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 16:40:07 BST
Subject: Buying albums twice

> From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
> Subject: Dang! and Box Set
> At least Kate had a lot of input on the project.  Maybe someone
> could ask her "why is she/EMI making us buy all her albums again?"
> at the Convention. Also "where are all those missing tracks?"  Maybe
> we should have sent the letter to Kate herself.

This is a very good point that Derek makes. If this set is intended
for Kate's existing fans then it is clear that the majority will
already own everything she has released. Kate has many times
acknowledged the devotion (even fanaticism) of her fans and must know
that they buy everything they can get their hands on. Just why are we
being made to spend c. 45 pounds per new CD? It would be nice to know
whether Kate wanted the B-sides etc released separately.

If the box set were intended for new devotees then it is hard to
imagine many being committed enough to fork out so much money in one
go.

I could understand the box format better if something like that
suggested by Derek and Andy in their letter had been followed i.e.
extra tracks on each of the "original" albums plus extra albums of
rare material. It strikes me that EMI just did not want to put any
major effort into the project but just wanted to cash in on the recent
trend for "box sets" before Kate disappears into her private world for
another 5 years.

Neil
P.S. despite the above I have still ordered the set. Perhaps I will
decorate my office wall with the duplicate CDs!
--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk