Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Boxed Set

From: spt1@ukc.ac.uk (Stephen Thomas)
Date: 23 Oct 90 13:30:25 GMT
Subject: The Boxed Set
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Well, according to the KBC newsletter, the release date for the Boxed
Set was 22nd October, which as I write was yesterday.  Accordingly,
today (I was busy yesterday) I went down to the shop I had ordered it
from (on CD) to see if it had arrived.  It had.  Oh boy.

I had expected another UK Love-Hound to have posted something by now,
but as gaffa is a bit wobbly at the moment, I shall tell you about it
anyway.  Here is what I found.

The box is matte black.  On the lid are the words "KATE BUSH" inscribed
in pseudo-gold-leaf, and a label bearing the words "This Woman's Work -
Anthology 1978-1990".  Opening the box reveals a booklet, also called
"This Woman's Work", with the female/KT symbol combination we had been told
about.  This booklet turns out *not* to be a biography, as some people had
thought, but rather a short introduction from Kate (at the beginning), 26
photographs (most of them rather good), and at the end some credits to the
photographers.  Also at the end is the dedication to Gary Hurst and
Alan Murphy.

Also to be found in the box (apart from the albums themselves) was
a set of twelve adhesive stickers.  Each sticker is the Fm/KT symbol
against a plain background (sometimes with a border) in various combinations
of colours - black, gold, red and violet.  One sticker for each year, I
suppose.  Suggestions as to what I could use them for are welcome.  Maybe
I could get them signed at the Convention.

Now, the albums.  "The Kick Inside" through to "The Sensual World" are
present ("The Whole Story" is not present, of course).  There is absolutely
nothing special about these - standard CD cases, the lyric booklets are the
same as usual (well, the same as the UK albums, anyway) - there is absolutely
nothing to tell them apart from the albums available singly.

OK, the bit you have been waiting for - the B-sides and rarities volumes.
These come on two CDs.  The booklets are black with the Fm/KT symbol
in red, and there are no lyrics.  Also, all told, there are only 29
tracks, not the 34 listed in Homeground.  The missing tracks are

   The Confrontation
   The Man With The Child In His Eyes (single mix)
   Dreamtime
   Running Up That Hill (instrumental)
   The Sensual World (instrumental)

I am slightly disappointed, I suppose, but never mind.  I haven't listened
to all the stuff on the rarities albums, but I suspect I will be well
satisfied with what I have.

And that is it.  This is what you pay you money for.  I must admit that
the photographs are rather nice.  One that caught my eye was a full
colour version of the cover of "The Dreaming".

When other people get their copies, I will be interested to find
out what they think of it.

Keep yourselves well,

Stephen

--