Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Suzanne Vega concert

From: Kenneth Brownfield <brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 11:35:11 CDT
Subject: Re: Suzanne Vega concert

     Last Saturday, Suzanne played at the Norris Center (I think!) at
NorthWestern University.  I decided I could put up with a lower grade on
my test tomorrow to drive up there and see the concert.  I almost did end
up in Michigan though (wrong way on I-94!!!  :-( )  And I FINALLY witnessed
a SV concert!
     It was a stage on the "backyard" of a university building.  There were
approximately 200 people there, mostly on blankets in windy 40 degree
weather.  The concert was an hour and a half with two encores (it was _darn_
cold.)  She did seem to cover everything equally, although I would have
preferred more of her earlier songs.  It was a nice personal concert.  I tried
to record the thing, but everyone moved around and talked to avoid freezing
solid, and I sang along too much.  All 200 or so folks tried to huddle to keep
warm.  The music kept us warmer.
     The stage had to have four dozen amps/loudspeakers.  There were at
_least_ a dozen per side.  It was loud, the drums made your vital organs
jump, and if you sang along, you could get a beat frequency going in your
chest!  :-)  It was a good concert.  Also, if anyone has the chance to see
the LakeFill on the NWU campus, do so.  It's an astounding view of downtown
Chicago from the lake edge.  That alone was worth 300 miles of solo driving.
     The concert was also free!  The intro band was called the "Gravity
Beavers."  Odd name, but good band.  Their songs were a bit repetitive and
not too engaging, but they were very good acoustic guitar players, and their
songs were good, too.  Anyone heard of these guys?  They were kindof an
acoustic, slightly folky, REM.  Something like that.
     Suzanne said that someone the night before (or a couple of nights, I
can't rightly remember) danced naked on a table and had to be taken away.
Was that your Michigan concert?  And I thought the UofI was wierd.  ;-)

							Ken.
					      brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu