Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hammersmith Info

From: Geoff Clare <gwc@root.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 13:14:48 -0100
Subject: Hammersmith Info
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Vickie <katefans@world.std.com> wrote:

>First the convention.

>When: Saturday, November 17 1990
>      11:00am-7:00pm

>Where: La Palais, Peter didn't have the exact address with him but it's
>       located in the Hammersmith district of West London. He said he
>       thought that it was on the same street as the Odeon but don't
>       quote him on that.
>*** (Can any of our English friends tell us about this district. What's
>it like? Is it easy to get to? Anything at all.) ***

I don't know Hammersmith all that well.  I've been to a few concerts
at the Odeon, and driven through it once or twice (traffic is an
absolute bloody nightmare!).  I've tried to produce an ASCII map
from my A-Z, but it's not that great.  Other info follows the map.

   --__ |   |                    %%|    | ^to A40/M41             N
--__   --   |             Palais-%%|    | |                      W E
    --__    --__                   |    |                         S
        --      --__    Underground|    |-Shepherd's
         |   --__   --__ (H&C Line)|    | Bush Road
         |   |   --__   --__   -O- |    |
----------   ---------      --------    ---------------------------------------
  King Street               Hammersmith Broadway             Hammersmith Road
-------------------  Q ------------------------------- B  ---------------------
                  |  u | -O-                         | u  |
 <-Chiswick       |C e |   Underground               | t  |       Kensington->
                  |a e |   (District/                | t  |
         __--------r n |   Piccadilly                | e  |
    __---          o   |   Lines)                    | r  |
__--     __--------l   |                             | w  |
    __---         |i   |                             | i  |
__-- Hammersmith  |n   |                             | c  |
     Bridge Road  |e   ------------------------------- k  ---------------------
 <-               |                            Talgarth Road           to A4->
 to A4/M4       __-S    __------------    -------------------------------------
            __--   t__--             |    |
        __--    __--                 |    |-Fulham              Earl's Court->
    __--    __--   %%%%-Odeon        |    | Palace Road

Coming from Heathrow simply take the underground (Piccadilly Line) to
Hammersmith.  From Gatwick, take the train to Victoria, then the
underground (District Line) to Hammersmith.  There are several different
exits from the underground.  I don't think you can get to the north side
of the Broadway from the District/Piccadilly Lines.  There is definitely
an exit on the south side (on the corner where the -O- is on the map).
The Hammersmith and City Line has a separate station.

Hammersmith Palais is a short walk up Shepherd's Bush Road, on the left.
I can't remember exactly how far it is (I don't think it's as close as my
map implies).  There are several other small roads not shown above.

Traffic congestion is apalling, despite the A4 flyover (which runs above
Talgarth Road) since Hammersmith is a sort of crossing-point of several
major routes.  Most roads are one-way.

Hope this is of some use.  See you all there!

--
Geoff Clare <gwc@root.co.uk>  (Dumb American mailers: ...!uunet!root.co.uk!gwc)
UniSoft Limited, Hayne Street, London EC1A 9HH, England.   Tel: +44-71-315-6600