Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: annabouboula

From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 4:19:34 EST
Subject: Re: annabouboula
Sender: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

jon sez:
> Basically, imagine the most brain-numbing collision of Greek rembetiko
> and Western influences.  Now add a mysterious female vocalist fronting
> it.  It's just amazing.  The group is Annabouboula, the album is "In
> The Baths Of Constantine" and there's nothing more to be said except
> BUY OR DIE.

old news, jonny boy...

so this is not completely content-free, something else to recommend:
anna palm. vickie told me about her and played a few tracks for me over
the phone, so i guess that qualifies as hearing it. it's got elements
of classical, jazz, everything. my memory of it is kinda hazy, but it
was quite good. majestic, powerful stuff. i haven't been able to find
the disc yet - it's an import on the uk label i little indian. the
release is called _arriving and catching up_ - maybe some of the uk
folx can do a better job than this - or maybe vickie can talk about it
for me (like you were supposed to!)

woj