Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Theodore -- the liner notes

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 19:59:27 PDT
Subject: Theodore -- the liner notes

As some of you know, CBS Records put out an alternative music sampler
on CD a few months ago, called _Theodore_.  It includes Kate Bush's
"Be Kind to My Mistakes"  (the shortened version that makes Vickie
so angry).  It was less than $6 through Noteworthy Music, so I decided
to spring for it.  Had I known that the booklet has a picture and short
article about each artist, I would have gotten it ages ago.  Here's what
it says about Kate:

KATE BUSH -- "Be Kind To My Mistakes" (NON-ALBUM CUT)
Produced by Kate Bush
Current Columbia album:  THE SENSUAL WORLD (44164)

     Welcome to _The Sensual World_ of Kate Bush....You enter a silk-hung
booth, strip off coarse travelling clothes, and slip into a clean linen,
pulling the soft fabric ever so slowly over your skin.  As you step out
onto plush carpeting, peppery incense stings eyes and nose.  Soft hands
slide to the small of your back and urge you forward to a low table
burdened with bright bowls of fruit and steaming dishes, pungent with
the scent of spice.  Soft voices murmur promises of extravagent,
langurous pleasure-taking Scheherazade only hinted at.  Sound appealing?
Then say, "Um, yes!" and be still.
     Kate Bush has figured prominently on the British music scene as
a cherished pop iconoclast right from the outset of her career in the late
70s.  The initial success of U.K. singles "Wuthering Heights" and "The
Man With The Child In His Eyes" was largely due to her unique stylized
vocals and striking appearance.  However, with tracks such as "Babooshka"
and "Breathing," Kate shifted the focus of her considerable, growing
talents as musician, composer, and producer.  By the mid-80s, Bush had
created an extraordinary body of progressive-leaning rock, easily as
individual and uncompromising (if not more so) as anything turned out
by comrades-in-arms Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd.
     "Be Kind To My Mistakes" is a B side to the single for the title
track [in America, that is] and is not included on _The Sensual World_,
but as on the album cuts, Kate moves beyond the confines of technical
prowess and intellectual pyrotechnics here, reaching more immediate,
viscerally motive terrain.  The physical realm beckons and Kate has
replied "Um, yes!"

The last page of the CD booklet contains the following remarkable
message:

BE RADIO-ACTIVE!

     Your purchase of this collection by new and innovative artists
shows you are an active music lover, and we thank you for your support.
We'd like to ask you to do a bit more.  We're not greedy, but there is
a real need for support of another music issue and institution....RADIO.
     Too often new music intensive radio stations are forced into
compromising their programming or completely changing formats due to
low ratings.  The low ratings may not be caused by a lack of listeners
but because those listeners refused to take part in the ratings survey
process.  They may refuse to participate because they are not aware of
the impact they can have on a radio station.
     People are bombarded every day by demands on their time and
"electronic junk mail" via the telephone.  It's easy to dismiss a phone
call that sounds like some kind of marketing survey.  But, if you care
about the music you hear on the radio, if you want to have a vote that
counts as to how radio should sound; then take the call if it comes from
either _Arbitron_ or _Birch_.
     Good radio needs your help.  To do so is as easy as
	  A rbitron
	  B irch
	  C ool Radio!
     Let them know waht you listen to....so you can keep on hearing it.

Well, all I can say is that I try to do my part.  I've gotten several
surveys (both mail and phone) from KITS, and I always tell them to
play more Kate Bush.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov