Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Russian blue flexidisc

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 21:43:26 PDT
Subject: The Russian blue flexidisc

I've had the Russian blue flexidisc for a while, but I've never posted
about it.  I've got some questions that I hope someone can answer.

I can read Cyrillic, because I took some Russian in college, but I don't
remember very much vocabulary.  So I'd certainly like help and corrections
from any of you who speak Russian well.  All transliterations are my own.

The name of the disc is Poslushaya Muziku, which I think means something
like "Listen to music".  There are two songs on it, one by Kate.  The
song is "Babooshka" -- I know, because I've listened to it.  But that's
not the title shown on the sleeve!  The sleeve says the title is
"Prokaznitsa", a word I've been unable to find in Russian dictionaries.
Can anybody tell me what it means?

I've heard others argue that the so-called Russian blue flexidisc was in
reality made in the USA, and has nothing to do with Russia.  Well,
my copy has handwritten comments in Russian in red ink on the back
cover.  So if it was really American, someone went to a lot of trouble
to make it appear that it wasn't.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov