Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

From: Steve Wallis <stevew@mushroom.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 12:26:08 BST
Subject: Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

greg@Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) writes:

>In article <9008280119.AA16116@hydra.unm.edu> you write:
>|> Really-From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo@hydra.unm.edu>
>|>
>|> Excuse me?  What local custom?  What ego trip?
>
>	The local custom of playing the national
>	anthem before any event at the arena in
>	question.

Hmm, the "custom" of the owners of the arena in question to force the artists
and customers to endure a bit of knee-jerk patriotism.

>	This country has a sad history of bigotry against
>	almost every nationality on Earth, and incidents such as these
>	will continue it.

The chief cause of bigotry is patriotism.  The difference between fervent
admiration of your own country and bigotry against others is slight.  Hence,
the Star Spangled Banner is a major cause of such bigotry.

>	The funniest thing about this is that if an
>	American performer were to travel to Europe and do the same
>	thing, the performer would probably be criticized as
>	another "ugly American" by the Europeans, and with good
>	reason.

If Bruce Springsteen came to Britain, and the owners of a venue tried to
ensure the British national anthem was played, he would rightly object - and
would receive much support from his fans (especially those who know the
lyrics of "Born in the U.S.A.")

>	I didn't
>	say that I would like for all concert halls to be
>	tributes to the American fight for independence, I
>	just said that if a particular area has a custom,
>	then it should not be disturbed.

Oh, the U.S.A. is still fighting for independence, is it?  It seems to me
that other countries are fighting for independence from the U.S.

>Greg Larkin (ASIC Engineer)
>Viewlogic Systems, Inc. (The CAE Company)
>293 Boston Post Road West       -------------------------------------
>Marlboro, MA 01752              |"We've got captains not courageous,|
>508 480 0881 x321               |captains tumbling into madness..." |
>E-mail: greg@Viewlogic.COM      |Peter Garrett, Midnight Oil        |

Interesting that you've got a quote from the lead singer of Midnight Oil in
your signature.  You may know that Midnight Oil strongly support the plight
of the aborigines in Australia, and would equally have supported the plight
of the Indians in the U.S. against the patriotic whites.  If they played at
the arena in question, I'm sure they would make the same protest as Sinead.

You can now boycott Midnight Oil's records if you like.  Personally, I would
boycott the DJs and radio stations who are censoring Sinead, if I lived in
the U.S.

Steve.

--
   \/\ /\ \/ \  / \\/      /    | JANET: stevew@uk.ac.man.cs.r5      |