Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

From: Michael Simms <michaels@hci.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
Date: 29 Aug 90 16:17:43 GMT
Subject: Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9008271427.AA22690@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: cjs@hotlf.att.com
>
>Well, Sinead O'Connor has raised the ire of
>lots of people in NJ.
Why?

>On Friday, at the Garden State Arts Center, she
>refused to play if the center played the National
>Anthem -- something they always do before a concert.
>They backstage people finally agreed because they
>were afraid they 9000 poeple in the audience would
>revolt if they cancelled the show.

What has the American National Anthem got to do with a
concert by an Irish musician?
>Noone realized what happened until Sat.  I was at the concert and
>didn't realize the anthem wasn't played.  My friend wondered about it,
>but figured they forgot to play it.  I found out about it because
>the Newark Star-Ledger had the story on page 3 on Sat.
>
>Anyway, now several DJs in NJ are banning sinead.
>WHTG's morning man, Bart Cross-Tierny, is asking all his
>listeners to send thier sinead CDs, LPs, button's etc.
>back to Chrylis Records and gives the address.

Is this stupid or what ?
Have all Americans been brainwashed into believing that not to
play the national anthem before a concert or anything  is an
"insult", and if so why?  Surely playing the anthem before
an Irish singers concert might make people think she was American
not Irish.

>The Concert review in monday's Star Ledger
>mentioned the incident but basically
>ignored it.  The review blasted the audience for being noisy
>during quiet passages and said Sinead should be mad at the audience.
>I was there, it was noisy, but I think part of the problem was
>Sinead sang 'I do not want...' acapella as an encore.  After
>several danceable songs, I think this might of been a poor choice
>as an encore.
>

>Anyway, I'm siding with the DJs.  I don't think Sinead should
>consider herself GOD (only kate is).  Too bad I didn't
>know about the national athem before
>the encore.  It might of be tempting to sing it.

Personally if I go to see a concert I want to hear the concert
and not to be subjected to a jingoistic rendition of a
national anthem.

>Oh, and by the way, a group called The Beautiful opened.  They
>were absolutely horrible.  They were Boys with Guitars -- with the
>execption that their guitar playing was barely average.  They tried
>to cover it up by being loud.  And they had horrible stage presence.
>

>Later
>c.swanson
>cjs@hotlf.att.com

This is not intended as a personal Flame,  but is just an
expression of my amazement at why Intelligent Americans (must
be to think KT is GOD :-) think (are brainwashed into thinking ?)
that the Stars and Stripes is sacred, whether in song or as the flag.

	MikeNewsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa