Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

From: gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 16:20:29 GMT
Subject: Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.misc
Sender: news@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (The Daily News)

In article <9008271427.AA22690@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> c.swanson writes:

>On Friday, at the Garden State Arts Center, she refused to play if the
>center played the National Anthem -- something they always do before a
>concert.
>
>Noone realized what happened until Sat.  I was at the concert and
>didn't realize the anthem wasn't played.

Well, someone finally found a distraction from the Iraq Crisis and the
impending Recession ...

Frankly, I've never attended a concert where the US (or Canadian)
national anthem was played, neither Pink Floyd at Nassau, Bowie at
Stade Olympique (Montreal), club shows at The Ritz nor The Bottom
Line, nor recent operas or symphonies.

Did Sinead give a reason?  Many people oppose the exhibition of overt
nationalism, and certainly if you were a performing artist giving
*your* show ... well?

>Anyway, now several DJs in NJ are banning sinead.

Quite possibly Sinead did not realize that the hordes would start
a jihad in the name of their political religion.  How many venues
in the US play the national anthem before a rock show (or anything
else?).  At least I wouldn't have expected it in our area (I'm in
Manhattan) or back in Canada (where we do play ours before hockey).

gld

PS: As far as I know, they didn't play "Star Spangled Banner" or
"America the Beautiful" at the last NY Philharmonic concert in
Central Park nor at the NY City Opera's "Lucia di Lammermoor".
--
Gary L. Dare				No golf courses on