Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

From: cjs@hotlf.att.com
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 08:54 EDT
Subject: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

Well, Sinead O'Connor has raised the ire of
lots of people in NJ.

On Friday, at the Garden State Arts Center, she
refused to play if the center played the National
Anthem -- something they always do before a concert.
They backstage people finally agreed because they
were afraid they 9000 poeple in the audience would
revolt if they cancelled the show.

Noone realized what happened until Sat.  I was at the concert and
didn't realize the anthem wasn't played.  My friend wondered about it,
but figured they forgot to play it.  I found out about it because
the Newark Star-Ledger had the story on page 3 on Sat.

Anyway, now several DJs in NJ are banning sinead.
WHTG's morning man, Bart Cross-Tierny, is asking all his
listeners to send thier sinead CDs, LPs, button's etc.
back to Chrylis Records and gives the address.

The Concert review in monday's Star Ledger
mentioned the incident but basically
ignored it.  The review blasted the audience for being noisy
during quiet passages and said Sinead should be mad at the audience.
I was there, it was noisy, but I think part of the problem was
Sinead sang 'I do not want...' acapella as an encore.  After
several danceable songs, I think this might of been a poor choice
as an encore.

Anyway, I'm siding with the DJs.  I don't think Sinead should
consider herself GOD (only kate is).  Too bad I didn't
know about the national athem before
the encore.  It might of be tempting to sing it.

Oh, and by the way, a group called The Beautiful opened.  They
were absolutely horrible.  They were Boys with Guitars -- with the
execption that their guitar playing was barely average.  They tried
to cover it up by being loud.  And they had horrible stage presence.

Later
c.swanson
cjs@hotlf.att.com