Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re : The Box (Botch?) Set

From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 90 17:10:32 PDT
Subject: Re : The Box (Botch?) Set

I thought I would reply to the comments made about my post regarding the box
set.  I respect all of your viewpoints and was just expressing mine.

Matthew Diamond wrote :

>With respect, I must say that I find this reaction surprising.
>It's one thing to be disappointed about it, sure we all are.
>But I never expected even the remotest chance existed of them doing
>it another way.  Did anyone really expect EMI to pull all the stops out?
>For that matter, Kate has never really acknowledged her demo work;
>did anyone really expect her to officially release any of it??

EMI did a very good job with The Stranglers, albeit for two separately
released discs and not a box set.  They put out a 74+min compilation of all
their United Artists singles and followed it up with a collection of rarities
and b-sides.  They even apologized for the poor quality of a few of the
recordings on the back of the disc.  So, there is evidence that they can do a
good job and can sacrifice quality standards for rare recordings.  No, I
didn't really expect them to pull out the stops but can't a fan dream?  There
are apparently some outtake versions of songs from the TKI sessions that are
not of as poor quality as the Cathy Demos which I am pretty sure will NEVER
see the light of day on CD.

>I for one am surprised that they are releasing SO MANY b-sides.
>I expected them to put one rareties CD in the package only.
>So I'm pleased about that.

Yes I am pleased too that all the b-sides are there.  They could have chosen
only a few for a single discs worth.  But there is a lot of other work...

>I think the real battle is whether the b-sides etc. will be available
>outside of the package.  This is where, for me, the potential disappointment
>lies.  If we are going to try and influence these proceedings at all,
>I think we should focus our attention on this one issue.  IMHO.

A good point too, especially if there is no difference between the album CDs
in the box set and those that are available outside of it.  The set could
temporarily bankrupt many Love-Hounds I'm sure and make many miffed as well in
the process!

>Really-From: KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU

>Although I think it's wonderful that EMI will be issuing a Box Set,
>I have some sympathy with Derek's comments about the unreleased music.
>I don't expect EMI to issue any of the Cathy Demos, but I would like
>to see them include Another Day, and tracks that have never been
>released (Brazil, The Magician).  I would also like to hear Kate's
>covers of songs like Rocket Man and Let it be.  Such songs are in
>a very different class from `demos'.  I also don't have any objection
>to including b-sides as additional tracks on the orginal albums.
>This doesn't alter the ordering of the tracks that are already there,
>and I see no reason why the additional room shouldn't be used.
>It makes more room for other tracks on the `rarities' disc!

>-bob

Glad you agree. These are true rarities i.e. not commercially available before
or not on a music only format.  By adding extra tracks to the album CDs the
box set could be under 10 discs and have all the b-sides and rarities that
have been mentioned.  As it may happen the set will be the 6 albums + 2 discs
of b-sides.  With extra tracks on the album discs one could get all of this
plus rarities + a Tour of Life disc on 9 discs - a much better value and
pleasing collection for KaTefans.

Cindy writes :

>Speak for yourself!  Yes, I'd *love* to see some of the rarer stuff made
>available, but as a fairly new KaTefan I'm thrilled at the opportunity
>to be able to acquire many of these "not really hard to get" items in such
>short order.  Maybe they are *relatively* easier to get, but I'm sure I'm
>not alone in finding them still somewhat difficult to track down, at least
>given my limited time and budget.

>I don't mean to be jumping on you about this, Derek, and I understand your
>frustration, especially if you already have much of this material, but I
>just want to say that I, for one, am delighted with seeing even the
>"non-rare" b-sides and alternative mixes made more readily available.

I can understand your delight.  What I was disappointed about is the fact that
the box will be more to some fans than others.  I want a set which would
satisfy every fan's craving from those who only have the 7" single of TWW to
the longterm everything-about-Kate collectors.  I fall somewhere between those
bounds.  The reward for the longterm fan is not as good as for the more recent
discoverer of our beloved KaTe.

>I also hope that the new-to-CD material is made available separately.  I
>know there are many KaTefans that have all the CDs and would only really
>want to get this new material.  But even if that's not the case, I'm quite
>thrilled with this announcement.

Yes this would be more attractive for those of us with all her import (to the
USA) CDs and all the fans in the UK if there was nothing special about the
album CDs and packaging for the box set.  If EMI go ahead with the 6+2 format
I think we should make our voices heard at EMI and Homeground.

Jeff Burka writes :

>So far, the only non-album stuff I've gotten is the "This Woman's Work" 12"
>single, the stuff on "Aspects..." and the "HoL" 12" (thanks to those who
>answered my query).  This gives me a total of 6 non-lp cuts (Ken; Be Kind...;
>I'm Still Waiting; instrumental TSW; Alternative Hounds; Handsome Cabin Boy).

>I've looked for other stuff and haven't found it (yet).

No, it is difficult to get now so in that sense it is rare (and expensive) if
you can find it.

>Doesn't it excite at least some of you to be able to get _all_ this stuff in
>one fell swoop _and_ on CD at the same time?  I'm incredibly glad to have
>Alternative Hounds and Handsome Cabin Boy...but I'd love 'em that much
>more if they were on CD.

Yes it is exciting that these will be all on CD.  I am an avid cdaholic and
will be ecstatic when I get the set and these wonderful songs (I think _Under
the Ivy_ is incredible).  My point was that there is more out there and if EMI
were going to try and issue a complete Kate Bush collection (which is what I
perceive the box set to be) then they have fallen short by relying on what
they have easily at hand in their very own archives.

Larry DeLuca writes :

>I think the problem is that EMI can only offer recordings that they
>own the Sound Recording (SR or P-in-the-circle) Copyright to, or
>that are licensed to them.  Certainly the Cathy Demos don't fall
>into that category, having never been published, and most of the
>other recordings mentioned probably belong to folks other than EMI.

They are only offering official EMI recordings because that is probably all
they can be bothered to deal with.  I am sure Kate (Novercia) would have the
rights to use the other material from Soundtracks, TV specials etc.  And what
of the Live video - an EMI release if I am not wrong.  EMI could negotiate
rights for these other songs if they are owned by others.  How do you think
those various artist "Now #x" albums are put together in Europe?  This
compilation represents the minimum amount of work for EMI.  Unfortunately
their approach may hurt potential sales (due to cost per new song), lose an
opportunity to bring more people into the Katefan fold (by not providing a
bigger incentive with full discs, new booklets etc) and frustrate those of us
who are going to be repeat purchasing all her albums on CD.

>I'm still just creaming my jeans over the B-sides on CD (now I don't
>have to pay an exorbitant amount for crappy 45's - I can pay an
>exorbitant amount for CD's).

I expect the set of 6 + 2 discs to be between $100 and $150 by the time it
gets over here.  That would make the new material cost $50 to $75 per disc of
new-to-CD material. (Ouch!)  At least they will be free of 'pops' and
'clicks'.

I hope I have cleared up any misunderstanding people may have had when I wrote
"disappointed" and "cock-up" (not a very nice term in retrospect).

Perhaps I should get a real job then the cost would not be a worry but I am
sure I am not alone regarding my views on the cost per unit of new material
and the wealth of material which remains to be released on the supposedly
indestructible, crystal clear CD format.

I wait with baited breath for more news form EMI, Homeground and any other
KaTesource.

Derek
Derek Langsford                 | "It could take me all my life,
Polperro->Edinburgh->San Diego  |  or it could only take a moment..."
derek@sunstroke.sdsu.edu        |                  Kate Bush, Love & Anger