Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Five Guys Named Moe, Donal Lunny

From: Michael Lunney <melunney@water.waterloo.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 08:50:21 EDT
Subject: Five Guys Named Moe, Donal Lunny
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Note:  Did this message get posted already?  I tried posting it
       last Friday but it hasn't appeared in rec.music.gaffa by Tues.
       Anyone in the Love-Hounds list get it?
ATTENTION KATE FANS!

Fans of Kate Bush (and I don't suppose there are any in
Love-Hounds :-?) and especially of her work with Irish
musician Donal Lunny might want to check out the new album
by the Canadian band Five Guys Named Moe.

Donal Lunny, who has played on The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, and
The Sensual World (mmmm yes!), has produced their debut album,
and is also credited with playing bouzouki, bodhran, additional
acoustic guitar and additional vocals.  Is this the first time
he has produced an album?

Five Guys Named Moe are a quartet (no one named Moe of course!)
from Waba, Ontario, Canada (near Ottawa) who are now based in
Glasgow, Scotland.  They consist of:
- Jonathan Evans:  vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, lapsteel
- Meg Lunney:  vocals, piano, organ, keyboards, accordian
- Tom McKay:  acoustic and electric basses, additional vocals
- Graeme Murray:  drum kit, additional vocals.

Other guest musicians on the album are Noel Eccles (percussion),
James Kelly (five string banjo), and Ronan Browne (Uilleann pipes,
low whistle).  Anyone know who these people are?

I can't wait to hear the album myself:  I just bought it today and
I haven't gotten home to a CD player yet.  So why am I so excited
about this release when I haven't even heard it?  Well singer Meg
Lunney just happens to be my second cousin (i.e., we share a set
of great-grandparents, Lunney's of course).  I wonder if we're also
related to Donal Lunny?

I don't even know Meg, although I've heard her father sing.
But I think I'll write to her, and find out if she's met Kate!
This is almost as good as being related to Kate herself!
Now I know how the U.S. president must feel :-)

The first single/video release "She's On A Mountain" was aired on
MuchMusic last Wednesday.  It sounds kind of Poi Dog Pondering-ish,
and also sort of Spirit of the West-ern.

Apparently there's another band from the U.K. called "Five Guys Named
Moe", so don't get confused!  I'll try to find out more about my
cousin "Moe" if anyone wants more information.

Michael Lunney                       melunney@water.waterloo.edu
Applied Mathematics                  University of Waterloo