Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Record Shopping in London

From: rhend@caen.engin.umich.edu (Robert Henderson)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 20:49:07 EDT
Subject: Re: Record Shopping in London

Um, not that I want to be too critical here, but when you say
that the security systems scrambled the video-tape that you bought
in London, did you take into account the difference between PAL
(the video encoding system used in the UK) and NTSC (the one
used in the US) ?  The physical tapes look identical, but the
data on them is written in completely different formats, which
would probably make it look "scrambled" if you played a PAL tape
on an NTSC machine.

Guys, don't do stupid things like this.  Never ever ever buy a
video tape in a foreign country, except for Canada, Mexico, and
Japan, unless you have one of those ridiculously expensive VCRs
that play in multiple formats.

Can't help you with the CD problem, though.  Not my specialty.

This public service message brought to you by...