Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Suzanne Vega (was Re: Nuke MadKateonna)

From: paullu@cs.ualberta.ca (Paul Lu)
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 90 20:18:18 GMT
Subject: Suzanne Vega (was Re: Nuke MadKateonna)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.ualberta.ca (News Administrator)

In article <9008030141.AA26353@gumby.us.oracle.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: nhess@us.oracle.com (Nate Hess)
>
>Meanwhile, I have neither heard nor heard much about Suzanne Vega's
>third album.  What's it like?
>
>--woodstock
>--
>
>nhess@us.oracle.com or ...!uunet!oracle!nhess or (415) 598-3046

Suzanne Vega's third album, _Days_Of_Open_Hand_ was released circa
March/April this year and I think it is excellent!!

When I first heard the album, my impression was, "Gee whiz, she should
have put more effort into polishing the melodies," but the album
quickly grew on me, and now I think the album is as good, in its
own way, as her first two.  The above reaction was not unlike my
reaction to Kate's _TSW_ (but I still think _HoL_ is the finest
album ever made by anyone, with _TD_ a not-so-distant second).

My enjoyment of Vega's album was helped by seeing her live in early
July, when she was in town.  She and her band gave a dynamic and
sincere performance.  Like Kate, Suzanne's own uniqueness and
personality comes through in her music, but it is never quite fair
to say that she is singing about herself.  Both are artists that
care more about continuing to make and share their music than
being a celebrity.

In my opinion, Vega's best gift is that of a lyricist.  She paints
wonderful word pictures, and she can fill a phrase with both articulation
and insight.  All of the songs on her third album are wonderful, but
my favourites are "Big Space," "Room Off the Street," and "Fifty-Fifty
Chance."  Mind you, nothing on this album has a ghost's chance of being
a radio hit.

Here's a sampling:

	"Close to the middle of the network
	 It seems we're looking for a center
	 What if it turns out to be hollow?
	 We could be fixing what is broken"	(Big Space)

	"Between the pen and the paperwork
	 There must be passion in the language
	 Between the muscle and the brain work
	 There must be feeling in the pipeline"	(Big Space)

	"Somewhere in a room...
	 Is a woman who's drinking
	 And her dress is so tight
	 You can see every breath
	 That she takes"			(Room Off the Street)

	"I tell you
	 I love you
	 I sing to you
	 Bring to you
	 Anything"				(Fifty-Fifty Chance)

Summary?  A great album, especially if you liked her first two.  Just
give it a chance before judging it.

	...Paul Lu (paullu@ca.ualberta.ca)

P.S.  Only one week until I go to London, England.  Found East Wickham
on the map.  Might go for a walk, but don't worry, I don't intend to
embarrass myself (or Love-Hounds).