Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KT and Madonna

From: Andreas Bjorklind <abj@IDA.LiU.SE>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 16:49:59 +0200
Subject: KT and Madonna

This is what I said regarding KT and Madonna in the discussion
in rec.music.misc...

--------------------
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc
Subject: Kate Bush and Madonna (Was: MADONNA on MTV [all day] Wed, Aug. 1)

First of all I must say that I'm a devoted Kate Bush fan, hence I am
bound to have biased opinions in this discussion. But, I also have all
Madonna's albums (except the First Album), and pley them fairly often;
i.e. I don't hate Madonna.

Now then,

[...a lot about Madonna...]
Loren> There is a whole newsgroup, rec.music.gaffa, devoted to Kate Bush and
Loren> related subjects, and I think that Madonna and Kate Bush have a heck
Loren> of a lot in common. I have long suspected that Kate Bush is the
Loren> Madonna of the alternative-rock set; if you think that comparison is
Loren> unwarranted, please explain why in reasoned, non-flaming words.

Loren, I'd rather say that Kate Bush and Madonna DOES NOT "have a heck
of a lot in common". Seriously, I think this is why _I_ am _at_all_
interested in listening to Madonna's music... just because they are so
_extremely_ different.

I think the difference between the two women --- very skilled at what
they do, no doubt --- is on a very fundamentally archetypical level
(please, no flames for my vocabulary! I don't use archetypical in any
particular way... those of you who understand: good!).

To make my point clearer (for some, I hope) I'll list a sequence of
"key words" for Kate and Madonna. I hope you then understand what I
mean by archetypes. These words of course reflects my own subjective
use of words, and some of them might have another meaning for you...
  Here goes:

KATE BUSH: Art, Tender, Mother/Virgin (hepp!), Transparency/Depth,
A-sexual (or at least implicit sexual), Engulfing, Subtle, Enigmatic,
Down-to-earth

MADONNA: Business, Agressive, Witch/Whore, Glossy/Slick, Sexually
explicit, Direct, Rejecting in a "I-really-don't-care-about-you"
manner, "An open book", Floating above

I think this shows that I find that Kate Bush and Madonna most of the
time represents two _very_ different kinds of "energy". And that I
also think these two types of women are in some way or another very
archetypical. _BUT_, I do not think they have a lot in common! I hope
that is clear.

If you _MUST_ flame, please use my e-mail address. It would be nice to
see a serious discussion, kept above the level of a local BBS...!

By the way: She really is!

Yours In LUX,

/andreas
|G   Mr. Andreas Bjorklind, Department of Computer and Information    W |
|O Science, LIBLAB, Linkoping University, S-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden. O |
|S        Tel. +46 13 28 19 69, Internet: abj@ida.liu.se,             W |
|H         UUCP: sunic!liuida!abj, Bitnet: abj@seliuida               ! |