Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

What I think...

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 02:54:10 -0400
Subject: What I think...

James quotes Larry:

then writes:

> That's rather a sweeping statement, Larry.  Can I make one as well?
> Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
> Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
> Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
> disappointed with _TSW_'?  No evidence, no flames, just a thought... :-)

You just hit on the problem. Nearly everyone I've met who got into Kate
with TD or HOL is "disappointed" with TSW. NO ONE I've talked to who first
became Katefans with the earlier albums has expressed disappointment with
TSW. They may (like me) consider TD or HOL to be their favorite albums, but
still really, really love TSW and certainly don't consider it an inferior
album, just a different album.

The logic is simple. Those of you who became fans with TD or HOL just want
Kate to keep making albums exactly like TD & HOL. Hell, I myself would like
*10* albums like TD (it's my favorite, always will be). However, I understand
that every album is DIFFERENT and UNIQUE. I accept TSW on those terms and
love it dearly. I don't want another album just like it when the time comes
for the next one to be released. "Good" "Bad" "Better" "Worse" has nothing
to do with it. I expect a change in Kate with each album and she's been
consistant in changing with each album. I expect her to continue to change.
Criticism is OK, especially on technical matters. I'll even agree that the
sound of TSW is not as clear and crisp as TD & HOL, and I really wouldn't
mind if Kate tossed her drum machine in the toilet but I just can't help
but think that a goodly chunk of the problems people are having with TSW
are simply the result of not being able to accept it on its own terms and
by continually "comparing" it musically to TD & HOL.

Also, though I don't really buy this "my most female album to date" bit
(since all of them have been "female" to me), it may be true because
there seems to be a macho undercurrent to some of these recent posts
lambasting TSW. Not saying they're sexist, mind you, but if TSW is more
"feminine" then maybe subconciously that's the problem they're having.
Especially since TD & HOL are more "aggressive", which can be considered
masculine, if that's your mindset (it's not mine).
I can't be more articulate about it because it's just a vague feeling
I'm getting while reading some of these articles. So I'll leave it at that
and see if anyone picks up on it. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the
matter?

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com