Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Date: 23 Jul 90 15:58:31 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Jane Siberry - Bound by the Beauty
Date: 23 Jul 90 15:58:30 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

  I heard alot about Jane Siberry a while back in this newsgroup and
have been interested in hearing some of her work for some time.  Being
a poor grad student, I wanted to avoid the purchase of something I was
unsure of.  I located a copy of the Bound by the Beauty CD at our local
public library and just got to finally hear it last weekend.
  I confess that I listened to the first two cuts and then turned it
off, quite disappointed that Gaffa led me to some country music hick
(not to offend Country lovers, but I, typically, can't stomach the
stuff).  I brooded over this for hours.  Then I tried again.  This time
I got all the way through, but not without repeating "Half Eagle, Half
Angel" several times.  I was hooked!  Then I listened to the whole thing
again with phones.  Now I love the "Hick" tunes.  I especially love
"Life is the Red Wagon" and "Hockey".  "Half Eagle, Half Angel" turns
me to jelly (like hearing "Breathing").  I love her!
  The point of all this is: after I purchase B. by the B. what should
I get next?  "No Borders Here" sounds interesting, title-wise.  I tend
to like off the wall stuff.  Also, I'm wondering about the Country
influence.  Is this new to B. by the B. or does she show country
influence often?  I get the impression from "Everything Reminds Me
of My Dog" and "Something About Trains" that she might be making
fun of Country music.
  Thanks for the tip ... I shall not doubt again.  Now to find some
Victoria Williams!

Greg.

P.S.  As a KaTe fan who began with HoL, I LOVE TSW, as well as all
      KaTe.  The thing about HoL & TSW is that her voice is so much
      more mature than in her earlier work.  The thing I like best
      about her IS her voice!