Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Date: 22 Jul 90 00:23:44 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: I think you've hit on something!
Date: 22 Jul 90 00:23:44 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In article <9007212201.AA01317@das.llnl.gov> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

>I think you're on to something here!  In fact, I've noticed it myself.
>While I didn't discover her quite at the beginning, the first album of
>hers that I heard (and that I fell in love with) was _The Kick Inside_.
>Well, I love _The Sensual World_.  I haven't yet found any exceptions
>to your rule, which I would state as follows:  If the first album you
>fell in love with was _TKI_ or _Lionheart_, you'll think _TSW_ is a great
>album.  If the first such album was _TD_, or _HOL_, you won't.  I don't
>know anybody whose first love is _Never For Ever_.

>Ed

Here I am.  Yeah, me, the one who's first KaTedisc was _Never For Ever_.

And, as one might guess from your _rather_ informal 'rule,' I have mixed
feelings about TSW.

Maybe, though, this has to do with the order in which I grew to love all
the albums...completely unchronologically.  NFE, HoL, TKI, LH, TD, then TSW.

I didn't hear HoL and decide that I _had_ to have TD since it was s'posed to
be in a similar vein (of sorts).

I spent two or three months trying to get into TSW.  Apart from "This Woman's
Work" (one of KaTe's best songs ever, regardless of what IED would say of
my use of 'best'), the album eluded me.  Finally, something clicked...
TSW is hardly my favorite KaTe album....that would be HoL.  It's definitely
not my least favorite...that would be Lionheart.  It's somewhere in the
middle, hitched up with Never For Ever, slightly behind The Dreaming.
"The Fog," "TWW," "Rocket's Tail," "TSW"--these songs are all very KaTe to me.
I can complain, as do others, about the wall-of-sound, dense feel of the
album, as opposed to something like HoL.  I prefer KaTe when her production
is light and airy...even when its bashing your head in with the percussion.

But geez...something about her "Hmmmm, yess."

Ya gotta love it!

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "On the outskirts of nowhere           |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  on the ringroad to somewhere,         |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  on the verge of indecision..." --Fish |