Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

I'm ashamed of myself !

From: E Welsh <ecwu59@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 24 Jul 90 15:44:09 GMT
Subject: I'm ashamed of myself !
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

It was an interesting ten days.

First of all I found _The Magician of Lublin_ for sale, ex-rental and
added another KT song to my collection. Then I went down to Hemel Hempstead
(near London) to stay with a friend while my flatmates jetted off to Italy
(sigh!). I faithfully went down to the Picadilly end of Carnaby Street,
the General Stores at number 5/7 to be precise and purchased my KT
t-shirt. I was going to get two but of the three they had, one was a
medium and another had smudged printing so I only got one. Thanks to Jon
and others who have mentioned it.

At Hemel Hempstead market the previous day I had also managed to get my
hands on the Canadian 12" of the Big Sky and a mint condition copy of
Kate live in Japan with Moving and the Beatles covers for L 5.00 and L
6.00 respectively.

By now you're wondering why the this posting sounds about as cheerful as
Under The Ivy played at 33 1/3 (try it!). Well I'll tell you. The day
after I got my t-shirt I found little market street in Soho with a
couple of record shops on them. Most of them were boring but one had two
items which had me drooling at the mouth. First I noticed _The Man With
the Child In His Eyes_ (L 20.00) but I have this already and above it
_Night of the Swallow_ (L 14.00 - or so I thought - he actually said
L 40.00 and I was going to buy it until then). Here comes the real
sob-story... up on the top shelf behind the counter sat an inconspicuous
green box, just the right size to fit 12 singles and a booklet inside.
Yes folks, I have seen _The Single File_ box set in the flesh, touched
it, carressed it, rifled through it. The only thing I didn't do to it
was buy it. I could feel the colour drain away from my face as the
salesman mouthed nonchalantly "that's ninety quid". Is it just me or is
that an outrageous price to charge. It wasn't autographed or anything
but it was in excellent condition. I'll probably regret walking out of
that shop emptyhanded for the rest of my life. I seem to remember
babbling at my friend non-stop for half an hour until we found a coffe
shop and he managed to calm me down. My fingers are trembling even as I
type.

Got a couple of photos and postcards though. :-)

--
/  __               /\ ecwu59@castle.ed.ac.uk /\ Are you selling your \
\ |_     \    /     \/ rew@lfcs.ed.ac.uk      \/ soul to a cold gun ? /