Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Disappointed with _TSW_ ?

From: radlein!ray@uunet.UU.NET (Ray Radlein)
Date: Tue Jul 24 02:37:34 1990
Subject: Re: Disappointed with _TSW_ ?

In a message of <22 Jul 90 16:49:40>, Jon Drukman writes:

> >A lot of people like this sort of approach.  Because of it, I listen to
> >_The Dreaming_ a lot less than my other Kate Bush albums.  For example,
> >_Lionheart_ is chock-full in much the way _The Dreaming_ is, but Powell
> >manages to keep it [just barely] under control in a way that _The
> >Dreaming_ spills over now and then with.
>
> This is a completely ludicrous analogy.  _The Dreaming_ was attempting to
> define an entirely new musical vocabulary, whereas _Lionheart_ was just
> adding a few frills to some tired old ideas.

As much as it confuses and upsets my delicate nature to agree with Jon
Drukman, I'm afraid I'm going to have to. "Lionheart" definitely sounds
like "Kick Inside Resartus," and its hurried nature shows. Who knows - if
they had let Kate take her time then, she might not have such a mania about
taking her time now....or, perhaps if they had let her take an extra year
then, she would be up to *eight* years between albums by now.

However, all of this talk about Andrew Powell and Kate Bush and Del Palmer
has sent a chilling notion coursing through my brain: How would Kate have
sounded - either back then, or on TSW - with other producers or engineers?
Say, Steve Lillywhite? Brian Eno? Don St. Was? Jellybean Benitez? Or - and
this one *really* frightens me, and should cause Jon to lose all kinds of
sleep, if he but thinks about it carefully enough - how about Bob Ezrin or
Jimmy Iovine? Can you even *begin* to imagine what "Reaching Out" would
sound like under Bob Ezrin's direction?

                                        - Ray R.

  UUCP:{uunet!ncrlnk, gatech!hubcap}!ncrcae!secola!smoak!avcom!radlein!ray
  FIDO:1:376/14.96, 12.3; UUCP #2: [sdcsvax nosc]!crash!pro-carolina!rayr;
  ARPA:crash!pro-carolina!rayr@nosc.mil; or INET:rayr@pro-carolina.cts.com

                             Koffein Macht Frei

                    DISCLAIMER: "Be Kind to My Mistakes"