Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More Audio Bashing

From: Fear Of A Black Planet <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 90 10:18:18 -0400
Subject: More Audio Bashing

>     Here IED simply disagrees with you outright, Richard. How are
>the sections of _TSW_ which happen to include Nigel Kennedy's parts
>"high points" of the album? Your judgement is unexplained, and in IED's
>view capricious. There is nothing about the recorded sound of Kennedy's
>instruments which sets them apart and above that of Davey Spillane's
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>or Paddy Bush's or David Gilmour's. If you disagree, perhaps you can
>describe just that ephemeral quality of sound that you feel puts Kennedy's
>sections on a higher plane, and how that quality is missing from the
>other parts of the album?

Well, I knew there was something amiss here, and like all huge glaring
errors, it was damn near impossible to find except by accident...
Take a look at the next to last page of the TSW booklet.

THE IRISH SESSIONS
Engineered by Andrew Boland
Assisted by John Grimes
Recorded at Windmill Lane Studio, Dublin

and so on.

I think we have thus put our collective love-hound finger on something
here.  It may not set it "above" Kennedy's violin, which has a
remarkable tone, but it certainly sets it "apart" from the rest of the
dross on TSW.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | -Fight The Power- | and you need everything we make.       |