Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

We've landed...

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 90 01:43:04 -0400
Subject: We've landed...

Vickie here.

                     Hello everybody!!

Gee, I feel as if we've been gone a long time, but it's only been a week.
Chris went to an Amiga expo today and bought a cheap modem.
Thank goodness, I thought we'd have to be off the net for weeks!

Well, we have a new home (half the size at twice the cost, but hey, that
will just make Katemas a bit cozier--no problem) in a very wonderful city.
Yes, I think we're going to love it here, Chris & I are very definitely
big-city type people, and Chicago has an especially interesting atmosphere.

a) a very friendly Midwestern aura
b) the Cubs baseball team (I generally could care less about baseball, but
   this team is very lovable)

There's more, I'll be learning every day I'm certain.

The second day we were here I found a great record store about 2 blocks away
and when I went in I went immediately to the Kate section (as I always do,
it's become a habit even though I generally never find anything I don't
already have) and WOW! a "Cathy's Album Vol. 1" was staring me in the face!
Yippie!! Of course & you bet--I bought it!
The next day I went to "record store row" on Clark Street and the very first
store I entered:

a) was playing TSW on the sound system
b) had one of the huge Columbia TSW promo posters still hanging on the wall
c) had TSW "flats" hanging from the ceiling

I LIKE THIS STORE, she said to herself.

The fellow behind the counter was responsible for all the Kateness and
we got to talking. Turns out he's originally from Scotland and the very first
album he ever bought in his life was TKI when it first came out! Ah, but
boo hoos were in order because he's moving to California in a few days to
go to photography school in Santa Barbara (if it doesn't burn down, he said).
Oh well darn, bad timing!

                    WE HAVE NEW FRIENDS!!

Jorn, Jorn, Jorn, Jorn, Jorn!!!! I hereby publicly, humbly and deeply

                     *  THANK YOU  *

and your roommate Eric for all the help in getting us moved. I don't know
what we would have done without you. You two were such a tremendous help,
and I want everyone to know what a truly wonderful fellow you are. Yes,
you will find out what's in all those boxes marked "Kate".
Michael, poor guy, you're getting your own self settled but it's going to
be such fun once we all get out of boxes and into a way of life.
The greater Chicago Kate Bush Appreciation Society is now in session!

Hello to Chet, Andy (who visited us and I had such fun showing him KKFI and
who was with me during one of my shows), Brian and Michael P. and bilbo
and Darrell (yes, by all means send me a tape of your band, I'll include
our new address at the end of this message) and everyone else who may have
written but I haven't gotten to all our mail yet.

                    LARRY     LARRY     LARRY

Thank you SO MUCH for agreeing to help me with my SIG Audio/Videoparty!
Thanks to everyone who's been interested enough to respond. I hope you
enjoy (just remember that I'm not a "professional" DJ and that the video
bits were culled from various sources over the last few years-quality varies)
and all inquiries should go to Larry Hernandez (whose address I don't
have handy). There's no rare Kate on the videos, sorry! It cost me about
$4.00 to send the package to Larry, and since he's added audio cassettes and
boxed it up it will run even more. I wish I could pay postage for the entire
"round", but since I can't I did want to let people know what (approx.) to
expect when they take the package to their local post office to send along
to the next person in line.

Larry and Andy, thank you both for raving about Happy Rhodes. You prove to
the masses that she's not just a figment of my imagination! I don't make
these names up, though it must seem like it sometimes! More about Happy in
a separate post.

That's it for now, we've got lots'o'boxes to unpack (gee, and after I spent
all that time packing them, seems like such a waste of time. Maybe I should
just leave them be for a while :-), and an entire city to get to know.
What fun! We're being welcomed in a fine style via concerts too. Next Tuesday
Chaba Fadela will be here (great voice, sings "Rai" music--rebel music from
Algeria), Thursday The Sundays will be playing (ooh YAY!), and Friday night
Victoria Williams will be here. I've been waiting years to see her live, the
only (MAJOR) bummer is that she's opening(!) for two other acts that I have
no interest in whatsoever. We'll get maybe 20 minutes of heaven and then
leave before the next act comes on. I'm going to try to meet her, I hope it
happens.

            For inquiring minds:

            Vickie Mapes
            Chris Williams