Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Another shot at X4 mystery message

From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)
Date: 1 Jul 90 08:01:25 GMT
Subject: Another shot at X4 mystery message
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In a couple of recent submissions, Ryan McGuire and IED discuss their
interpretations of a line of mystery text buried within _Experiment IV_.

Ryan hears:
                   I think I must thank you for listening to my tune,

While IED hears:
                   I bet my mum's gonna buy me a little toy instrument.

And I hear some variation on:

      I've got my/mine muzzle(d) and they came in tune(d) to destruct/destroy.

Actually, I hear everything up to the word "tune" pretty clearly, at
least on the CD copy, where it's easy to play tiny fragments over and
over again very rapidly.  It's less clear on vinyl, and even less clear
on the vinyl extended version.  (In that version, the line is still
present, but easier to miss because the preceding cue line "It could sing
you to sleep" is missing.)   The vocal IS buried beneath multiple
instrument tracks, but seems to be a single continuous vocal -- not
chopped up, back-masked, pieced together or shifted about in any tricky
manner.  The difficulty comes from the phrasing (slightly odd) and
mainly from the overlying instruments.  For example, Ryan mentioned:

>2. The word, "tune" doesn't quite sound right.  There seems to be a ch
>   sound between the t and the u, 'tchune'.  Maybe this isn't even the
>   the right word.

I don't want to put words in Ryan's ears, but what I *think* he's
hearing over the word "tune" is part of the rhythm track.  There's
a constant "tch-tch-tch-tch" throughout.  That's the same reason I'm
not sure about the d on the end of "tune(d)".

The last word is more of a guess.  What I hear best is "destruct",
pronounced "dee-struct".  That's less grammatically correct than
"destroy" might be, but not if the sentence is read as if "DESTRUCT"
were a setting, not as part of the incorrect infinitive "to destruct".
Really, it could be another word entirely.

To complicate things further, I think there's another buried line later
in the song, and it's sounds impossible to make out.

Next opinion?...

[ In an unrelated note, I'll be gone on sabbatical leave (pronounced
  "extended vacation") from now until Sept. 4, so any direct mail to me
  will just have to stew until then.  Have a happy KATEMAS. ]

Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve
Tandem Computers                (512)-244-8252