Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 90 11:02 PDT
Subject: Mailbag

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

   Richard Caldwell writes:

 >  Did I miss something or were their _no_ live performances of material
 > from _The Sensual World_ during its "promotion"?  This is a grave
 > disappointment.  An appearance on New Visions or MTV Unplugged is the
 > very least I would have expected.

   The closest thing IED has seen was the lip-synch of _TWW_ that Kate
performed on _Wogan_. That performance is very hard to distinguish from
a genuine live performance, so precise is Kate's simulation.
   Kate did in addition appear (perhaps more than once) on French TV
a short while ago, and IED has wanted to learn ever since what happened
with that. Could our French KorrespondenT(s) _please_ give us an update
soon? Thanks.
   "MTV Unplugged" is about the last place IED would expect to see Kate
Bush perform live.

 >  I believe that the increasing involvement of Del Palmer in Kate's work
 > did not have a positive effect on _The Sensual World_.  Perhaps even the
 > contrary.

   IED doesn't know on what you have based this opinion, Richard. Remember
that Kate, not Del, produced _The_Sensual_World_ and all its attendant
b-sides. Also, although Del's contribution to _TSW_ may have been slightly
greater than in earlier years, it can't have been a major change. Del worked
extremely closely with Kate on _Hounds_of_Love_ and _The_Ninth_Wave_, as
well. Remember also that Kate isn't the only discerning musician to have
endorsed Del's skill as an engineer; Nigel Kennedy singled out Del as the
best engineer he had ever worked with. Perhaps you could be a little more
specific in your criticism?

 >  And speaking of Andy, someone's query as to what IED stands for is met
 > with the usual silence.  A friend of mine to whom I forward
 > Love-Hounds and who I'll call Cynthia (because that's her name)
 > suggests that it might stand for "In Excelsis Deo".  If that is indeed
 > the meaning of "IED" I leave it the reader to decide how it's intended...

     There are three equally valid explanations of IED's acronym, Richard.
The first is that it has no significance at all. The second is that it has
a deep personal and private significance for IED himself, one which he
will never be able to share with others. Your friend Cynthia has _almost_
hit upon the third--she has all but the gender correct. The correct (third
alternate) explanation is: "In Excelsis Dea". It should be clear, therefore,
that the acronym does not refer to your humble KorrespondenT...

-- Andrew Marvick
   "i found it in a locket...i hiDE It in my pocket..."