Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

All Quiet On The Gaffa Front

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 03:57:16 EDT
Subject: All Quiet On The Gaffa Front

As things get strangely quiet here on Love-Hounds I realize that I'm
having still another new Kate-related experience.  Just as I had never
experienced the bliss of an new Kate Bush release prior to _The
Sensual World_ I have never experienced the profound letdown of it
being "over".

That's it kids, Christmas is over for the next two to five years.
Just be thankful that the toys we've gotten can never be broken or
worn out.

---

I mentioned before that I thought that it would be about three years
before the next album.  IED notes that a B sides/rarities collection
may well be the next release.  I hope he's right.  There are just too
many superb tracks that are unavailable on CD and undoubtedly still
more that have never been heard anywhere (e.g _Brazil_).  A three CD
set comprised of B-sides, rarities, unreleased tracks, live cuts and
two or three new tracks ala  _20 Years of Jethro Tull_ would be
fantastic.  The question is whether Kate could avoid emersing herself
in such a project and taking three years to complete it.

---

Did I miss something or were their _no_ live performances of material
from _The Sensual World_ during it's "promotion"?  This is a grave
disappointment.  An appearance on New Visions or MTV Unplugged is the
very least I would have expected.

---

I believe that the increasing involvement of Del Palmer in Kate's work
did not have a positive affect on _The Sensual World_.  Perhaps even the
contrary.

---

Jorn Barger reports his disappointment at the arrival of a very low
key official Sensual World T-shirt.  John, where have you been?  Low-key
seems to be what Kate is all about these days.

In that spirit my wife, Melissa, created our very own KT-shirts.  She
duplicated the KT logo as seen on Kate's sleeve in the _Army Dreamers_
video (and about that size) and stenciled it onto a nice Pocket-T.
The result is a shirt that any KT fan would identify immediately and
that the naturally inquisitive sorts to whom Kate might get through
find interesting enough to ask about but that fails to phase the hordes
of unwashed masses.  Well, unless you count the occasional, "Do you work
at Circle K?".

A project to put the logo on some nicer button down shirts is next.

---

As a couple of people have noted, we may find it easy to ignore
censorship when it involves groups like 2Live Crew but somewhere
down that road the censors will be adding _The Infant Kiss_, _Feel It_
and a host of other great works of art to their bon fires if we let
them get started.

---

Ryan McGuire does a fantastic job of attempting to decipher the secret
message on _Experiment IV_.  He proposes that the message between the
line "It could sing you to sleep" and "But that dream is your enemy"
might be...

                    I think I must thank you for listening to my tune,

while Andrew Marvick suggests...

                    I bet my mum's gonna buy me a little toy instrument.

Of these two I can hear Ryan's suggestion more clearly.  I can hear
what might be each word that he suggests.  Of Andy's suggestion I can
only make out the first four words.

---

And speaking of Andy someone's query as to what IED stands for is met
with the usual silence.  A friend of mine to whom I forward
Love-Hounds and who I'll call Cynthia (because that's her name)
suggests that it might stand for "In Excelsis Deo".  If that is indeed
the meaning of "IED" I leave it the reader to decide how it's intended...

---

It seems that there have been a couple of people on here asking -- no,
pleading -- to be taken off the mailing list.  That's all well and
good but the proper thing to do is note "because I've got access to
the newsgroup now."  Failing to do so will cause us to wonder if
you're leaving Love-Hounds entirely which will in turn cause doubts
about your mental stability.  Everybody knows that no one who's mental
stability is in question should be permitted to take such a drastic
step as dropping Love-Hounds.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com