Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Experiment IV secret message

From: chip@alpha.ces.cwru.edu (Ryan McGuire (for now))
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 90 03:10:01 GMT
Subject: Experiment IV secret message
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@usenet.ins.cwru.edu

    I think I may have deciphered the backing vocal in _Experiment IV_
just before the line "But that dream is your enemy" after listening to
the five-second clip only about fifty times (I lost count after 34).

    I believe the  words are "I must thank you for listening to my tune."
There are so many overdubs with varying shifts and volumes that it's hard
to tell right where the main line begins and what is a pre-echo.

There are still a couple points I'm not quite clear on:

1. There seems to be two sylables of the same volume before the first word
   in the above sentence.  These could be
	A) Two real sylables in the same track that add meaning to the
	   sentence.  If this is the case they may be, "I feel,"  yielding,
	   "I feel I must thank you..."
	B) Two 'warm-up' pre-repetitions of, "I", yileding, "I I I must..."
	C) The beginnings of two tracks of the same sentence but with a
	   negative time shift.

2. The word, "tune" doesn't quite sound right.  There seems to be a ch
   sound between the t and the u, 'tchune'.  Maybe this isn't even the
   the right word.

Here's a graph of words vs. how sure I am of them:

 Pretty darn sure -                         ******************
         Probably -               **********                  **
Maybe - Maybe not -       ********                              *****
         Clueless - ******
		    I  I  I  must thank you for listening to my tune.

    I found that having the 1K, 2K and 4K channels on the equalizer
full-blast and all the rest all the way off gives the best voice-to-
instrumentation ratio.

    I'm going to give it a couple more runs tonight before I go to bed,
but I just had to post these preliminary findings.

--
Some say that knowledge is something that you never have.  | Ryan McGuire
Some say that knowledge is something sat down in your lap. |