Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sperm Whales & their tales...

From: lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 14:07:47 EDT
Subject: Re: Sperm Whales & their tales...

   Really-From: David Heath <dave%boingo.med.jhu.edu@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu>

   In rec.music.gaffa you write:
   >Really-From: Patriarch Porch <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>

   >Yeah, it's on United States.  I saw her do this on (I think) Saturday
   >Night Live a zillion years ago and I loved it.  I borrowed a friend's
   >copy of U.S. and tried to find something involving "sperm" but I
   >didn't find anything like that in the contents.  I think it gets its
   >name from the part where she talks about all the sperm doing the
   >equivalent of Mach 20...

   What's the story behind Laurie's "United States"? I don't think it's available
   on CD - is it? Is it still available on record, or is it out of print?

I don't think it ever came out on CD, unfortunately.  I wish it had, since the
vinyl version suffers somewhat from groove cramming (there are sides that are
over 30 minutes long) and the sound quality suffers as a result.  I don't know
if it's out of print or not -- I imagine that it might be, but I noticed a
'new' copy of the cassettes at a local record store (Main Street Records in
Northampton, MA) just last week, so you may be able to find it anyway...

   -dave heath
   dave@boingo.med.jhu.edu  --or--  heath@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu

|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |
|         lee@cs.umass.edu or Fuligin@umass.bitnet or (413) 549-6366          |
|_      "Fresh, violent happiness and hugeness for your nerve system"        _|