Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Propaganda

From: King Hell Wombat <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 90 14:41:41 -0400
Subject: Re: New Propaganda
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: portuesi%tweezers.esd@sgi.com
>
>So, like, what's the word on the new album by Propaganda?  Only one
>member of the original band is present on this album, and it has a
>different producer from "A Secret Wish".  I want to buy the album, but
>not until I hear something good or bad about it.

I didn't even realize that it was the same Propaganda at all.  I
thought some up'n'coming american group had stolen the name because
they liked it.

>\|on, do you have any opinion?

I have LOTS of opinions, bucko, but you knew that.  :)  Well, I'll
tell ya, it sounds like radio friendly pop music with nice but
unremarkable female vocals.  I would recommend that if you haven't got
it already you try to find the album by Act called "Laughter Tears and
Rage" because that's Claudia Brucken (original lead singer of
Propaganda) plus Thomas Leer (???), with music produced by Trevor Horn
(yay) and Stephen R.J. Lipson (producer of "A Secret Wish" - basically
Trevor Horn's disciple).

Another recommendation: the album is called "Big Bang!" and the group
is called Fuzzbox (formerly We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Gonna Use
It).  This came out last year and completely blew me away.  I listened
to it 16 times in a row, in fact.  Fun pop stuff with great melodies,
great vocals (the sexiest female vox this side of you know who) and
killer hooks.  Produced by Andy Richards who is yet another ZTT/Trevor
Horn disciple, and in fact played keyboards on "A Secret Wish," the
Act album, and many other ZTT products (almost all of them, in fact).

If you like Propaganda and have a soft spot for infuriatingly catchy
pop songs at times, you will not be disappointed.  Buy or DIE.

Caveat: they have other albums out that are not at all ZTT-ish, more
like your typical college grunge band, in fact.  Steer clear, unless
you like that misery.

In any case, Act and Fuzzbox definitely before new Propaganda.

>    "Each time I go to bed, I pray like Aretha Franklin"

I hate to admit it, but I really like Scritti Politti.
Coincidentally, I just finished listening to this song when I read
this article.

/j/
"Don't you wanna be my PRIME GONZOLA?"

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+