Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vickie's playlist 118 (last live show-6 hour marathon)

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 90 05:45:02 -0400
Subject: Vickie's playlist 118 (last live show-6 hour marathon)

Vickie here. Well, this was my last live show. Exactly 100 shows ago I
went live (my first 17 shows were taped) and I was so scared that I
almost quit. Now, I'm so used to being live that I'm going to miss it
terribly. Even with all the mistakes, gaffes, inarticulateness, silliness
and weirdness of live radio, there's something about it that's more intimate
and warm, and I could get immediate feedback from listeners.
Things will never be the same.
This was a 6-hour marathon of requests and trying to cram as much music as
I could into my last few hours in the studio. We had a party and in one
room Chris showed videos while I was on the air in the other room. I'd always
wanted to have a "Suspended In Gaffa" Video Party, because I have hours upon
hours upon hours of videos by female artists, but it had never happened. We
thought this was better than nothing, so we showed what we could. Everything
from Kate Bush to Jane Siberry to Mary Coughlin to Diamanda Galas to The
Innocence Mission to Victoria Williams to Throwing Muses to Trio Bulgarka
and on & on & on. Most people wanted to see Kate & Jane so Chris spent most
of his time cueing up their videos. I think most people were torn between
seeing the videos and being in the other room or the the studio with me
listening to the show. I got lots of "farewell" phone calls (Larry H. where
were you?) and wouldn't you know it, I got 4 calls from people who'd just
tuned in, had never heard the show before, and were sorry they didn't find
out about the show before. One guy was especially heartbroken that he'd
missed out for over two years, because his taste and my taste in music were
dead-on alike. I tend to blame the local music papers and newspaper, because
I'd been in touch with all of them, trying to get publicity for my show, but
not one of them ever said one word about it in print. Hell, I don't get paid
for the show, it's a volunteer effort, so it wasn't as if I wanted to make
money from the publicity, I just wanted to spread the word about the music.
Anyway, I had a great night and I cried (I knew I would) when I did the
final sign-off. SIG will live on, but in a mutated form, so I couldn't help
but be sad.

Here's the entire 6 hours' playlist:

                          Suspended In Gaffa 118
                            Last Live Broadcast
                           Playlist for 6-16-90

* Artist *               * Album *               * Song *

Victoria Williams        Swing The Statue        Vieux Amix
k.d. lang                Angel With A Lariat     Tune Into My Wave
Concrete Blonde          Bloodletting            The Sky Is A Poisonous
Dead Can Dance           Spleen And Ideal        Mesmerism             Garden
Heavenly Bodies          Celestial               Sendero Luminoso
Beautiful Pea Green Boat Still Life              Among The Ruins
Kate Bush                Cathy Demos             Organic Acid
 "    "                  Experiment IV 12"       same (extended mix)
 "    "                  The Dreaming            The Dreaming
 "    "                  The Dreaming            Suspended In Gaffa
Victoria Williams        Happy Come Home         Shoes
Michelle Shocked         Short Sharp Shocked     When I Grow Up
Andrews Sisters          50th Anniversary        Bei Mir Bist Du Schon
Danielle Dax             Dark Adapted Eye        Flashback
Mysterious Voices of Bulgaria   Balkan           Holm
West India Company       New Demons              O Je Suis Seul
Dr Calculus              Designer Beatnik        Perfume From Spain
Aster Aweke              Aster                   Wolela
Yma Sumac                Voice Of The Xtabay     Lullia Mak'ta
Agnes Buen Garnas        Rosensfole              Innferd
Marta Sebestyen          Muzsikas                Feher Galamb Szallt A Hazra
Jane Siberry             Jane Siberry            Writers Are A Funny Breed
 "      "                No Borders Here         Symmetry
 "      "                The Speckless Sky       Map Of The World Pt. 1
 "      "                The Walking             Red High Heels
 "      "                Bound By The Beauty     Bound By The Beauty
The Jody Grind           One Man's Trash...      Is Another Man's Treasure
Happy Rhodes             Rearmament              Friend You'll Be
Marta Sebestyen                                  ? (Irish/Hungarian song)
Sheila Chandra           Nada Brahma             Raqs
Downey Mildew            Mincing Steps           Offering
Mary Margaret O'Hara     Miss America            Anew Day
Zebra Stripes            Zebra Is Her Name       This Little Girl's Gone
Lene Lovich              Stateless               Lucky Number        Rocking
Caterwaul                Pin And Web             Throw Like Thunder
Julie Covington          ?                       The Kick Inside
Hugo Largo               Drum                    Fancy
Mary Coughlin            Tired And Emotional     Seduced
Jennifer Furguson        Forces Favorites        Suburban Hum
Kate Bush                Never Forever           Army Dreamers
 "    "                    "      "              Breathing
Judie Tzuke              Sportscar               Chinatown
 "      "                The Cat Is Out          This Side Of Heaven
Throwing Muses           Throwing Muses          Rabbit's Dying
Dead Can Dance           Lonely Is An Eyesore    Frontier
 "    "    "             Dead Can Dance             "
Kate Bush                Hounds Of Love          Cloudbusting
 "    "                  The Dreaming            Get Out Of My House
The Innocence Mission    The Innocence Mission   Medjugorje
The Sundays              RWA                     Here's Where The Story Ends
Concrete Blonde          Concrete Blonde         Beware Of Darkness
Area                     Between Purple & Pink   Anyway
 "                       The Perfect Dream       25/With Louise
Happy Rhodes             Rhodes Vol 1            Givin In
 "      "                Rhodes Vol 2            No One Here
 "      "                Rhodes Vol 1            I'll Let You Go
 "      "                Ecto                    Ecto
 "      "                Rhodes Vol 1            Step Inside
 "      "                Rhodes Vol 1            The Wretches Gone Awry
 "      "                Rearmament              Crystal Orbs
 "      "                Rhoses Vol 2            To The Funnyfarm
 "      "                Rhodes Vol 2            Asylum Master
 "      "                Rearmament              Because I Learn
 "      "                Rhodes Vol 1            The Chase
 "      "                Ecto                    Ode
 "      "                Ecto                    Don't Want TO Hear It
 "      "                Ecto                    Poetic Justice
 "      "                Ecto                    To Be E Mortal

Yes, I spent the last hour & 15 minutes on Happy. She's worth it.
(51 Academy Rd., Albany, NY 12208 to order her tapes. I would suggest
sending a stamped, self-addressed envelope for information.)

=  Vickie   of  Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City    katefans@world.std.com   =
=                 "Suspended in Gaffa" KKFI 90.1fm                        =
=                    Saturdays 10:00pm-12:00am                            =
=       Kansas City's Alternative alternative to boyz with guitarz        =