Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: the _BACKSIDES_ boot and KT wins another award

From: E Welsh <ecwu59@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 7 Jun 90 12:29:46 GMT
Subject: Re: the _BACKSIDES_ boot and KT wins another award
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Larry Hernandez writes:

>A short request this time.  Will the guy (I think in England) who

Scotland ! ;-)

>posted last week about glomming onto a copy of the new _Backsides_
>Kate bootleg for a tenner, and trying to shave to _Ran Tan Waltz_,
>PLEASE post again, and give us all more information about your lucky
>find!!  I posted as to the existance of this boot about a month or so
>ago, but this was only reporting what was _told_ to me by my boot
>source.  My source has subsequently told me that he has heard from _his_
>source that the originator of this boot was busted recently, along with
>"most" of his stock!  If this is indeed true, you have a valuable little
>record in your hands, my friend.  I tend t  agree with my source that
>most likely, this boot will not be repressed, since it contains songs
>that are available commercially (for a price!), not anything that can't
>be had otherwise.  I for one, being a serious colleKTor, am extremly
>curious as to the sound quality, packaging, etc., of this record.  What
>pictures or artwork are on the sleeve?  What is the "label" of this
>boot?  Matrix number?  Any unusual design(s) on the record itself?  Any
>writing in the run-out groove area?  Uh, was there another one available
>that I can buy from you? :-) (I'm actually serious-please email me if so!)
>
>Also, would you please give us a rundown of the songs on each side, in
>order of appearance!!  Thanks very, very much.  Oh yeah, in case I
>forgot to ask, how's the sound quality???!!

OK Larry (and anyone else interested), but it isn't very exciting ...
The songs and order are the same as listed in your old posting but here
they are again:
SIDE 1 :December Will Be Magic Again
	Warm and Soothing
	Ran Tan Waltz (ouch!!!)
	Full House
	The Empty Bullring
SIDE 2 :Burning Bridge
	Not This Time
	The Handsome Cabin Boy
	Under The Ivy
	The Big Sky (Metorological Mix)
			^ [Their spelling-is this American ?]

The only interesting thing is the record it was pressed on top of.
'Maria Stanmore Sings' . After The Big Sky you can hear the end of the
song which was previously on that side ('Patrick Moores Dream'). You can
hear something anyway - I'm just presuming. It's on Pink Frost Records
(Maria Stanmore Sings, that is). There is no identification of the
bootlegger or the country of origin. The only inscription on the runout
groove is on side 1: 'MS 1 A 1J' and a '3' and on side 2: 'MS 1B J' and
a '2' but these were probably on the original record.
It has a white paper insleeve and a white outersleeve with a quite small
picture of KaTe at a piano by a window, very probably East Wickham Farm,
wearing flip-flops and a waistcoat and slacks, looking at the camera.
The picture is similar to one in (I think) Vermorel's 'Princess ...'
book but the shot is from a different angle (right angles to her) and
not blurred. I have never seen it before.

On the outer sleeve the only words are 'Kate Bush', 'Back Sides' and the
track listing. The sound quality is normal commercial LP quality.
As for other copies ... I'm in the middle of exams just now so forgive
me if I don't go back down to the shop for a week or two. For anyone in
Edinburgh it's BackBeat Records on Candlemaker Row (that's where I got
my Kick Inside pic disc and my 'Bristol' and 'Bird in the Hand'
bootlegs). I don't expect he''l have another copy. I don't know for sure
because when I came into the shop I asked the guy if he had any Kate
Bush stuff. He said he didn't think so but I looked anyway and as I was
looking this salesman (if you can call him that) came in with some
records. The guy who runs the shop called me over to show me this record
and I zipped out to the bank for ten pounds. When I came back the
salesman was gone so I don't know if he bought any others. He said he
didn't normally carry Kate Bush because he wasn't a fan. I think we
should all say a few prayers for this guy. Anyway I'll have a look some
time soon ok.

Now that you're all thoroughly bored by all this gory detail here's
something I've been meaning to type in for a long time. It's from Sounds
magazine (I think) last year or early this year under a heading, The Sol
awards. It's not very complimentary I'm afraid but anyway ...

The Inland Revenue Award for the greatest contribution by an interview
subject towards actually making filling in tax return forms seem fun by
comparison : KATE BUSH

--
/  __               /\ ecwu59@castle.ed.ac.uk/\ Are you selling your \
\ |_     \    /     \/ rew@lfcs.ed.ac.uk     \/soul to a cold gun ?  /