Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind.

From: MasterMind <VNOZICK@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU>
Date: 6-JUN-1990 16:11:23.13
Subject: Re: A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind.

From: vnozick@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 6 Jun 90 16:10:54 GMT

In article <9006060116.AA01354@gaffa.MIT.EDU>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>>Really-From: torkel@sics.se (Torkel Franzen)
>>
>>   >I don't believe Kylie or
>>   >any of the rest of her ilk are honestly doing the music that feels
>>   >right to them, I believe that they are trying to make a quick buck by
>>   >purveying media-friendly sex.
>>
>>  Now, on what basis do you believe this? Certainly Kylie Minogue herself
>>has explicitly stated otherwise.
>
> Well, I hardly expect them to go around bragging about it.  New Dweebs
> On The Block claim that they're doing music they love, coming from the
> heart, honest musicians, blah blah blah.  Bull cookies.  I respect
> bands who are crap and admit that they're doing it for the money.
> Sigue Sigue Sputnik spring to mind.  They took the piss out of it.
> Sanctimonious yabbos hypocritically claiming "art" while all the while
> keeping their eyes on the Bottom Line make me ill.

People all have different tastes.  When I was younger, I wanted to make music
like Debbie Gibson's and others of her ilk.  I *still* want to be Madonna.
These people sing of love and (often times) a more innocent time--there is
nothing wrong with identifying with that.  Some people either do not want to be
bothered with 'strange' lyrics, or prefer the rhythms of dance music or rap or
whatever.

It's a shame that people who consider themselves open minded and intellectual
feel that they must hate anything popular, dismissing it as crap.  Open
mindedness means willingness to fairly evaluate and accept ANY and ALL trends.
This doesn't mean that one must love Public Enemy, or other blatantly racist
groups.  One may fight against that, if that's how they feel.  But saying that
their music has no value whatsoever is being irrational.  Of course it has
meaning--everything has some meaning and value to somebody.  These artists
chose to make music, and they chose to make the type of music that they do.
And I, as a listener, choose to listen to their expressions because it affects
me in some way.  And even if that reason is just that I want to dance, that's
fair, because perhaps that is what music means to them--a release of tension.
Listen to them.  Evaluate.  But don't be close-minded about it, please.

Valerie Nozick
vnozick@eagle.wesleyan.edu
"And you can dance...for inspiration"--Madonna
    Valerie Nozick           "...And then with the charm around him
vnozick@eagle.wesleyan.edu   He loosened it so if it slipped between my breasts
                             He would rescue it..."--Kate Bush