Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Minogue - give us a break

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 18:56:24 BST
Subject: Minogue - give us a break

>From: think!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!L-H@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
>Subject: A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind.
>Fr: - Bob Davis
>Re: A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind
>And now, Bob speaks:

>Possibly my favorite female singer in the pop field is Kylie Minogue
>(who is as famous in England and Australia as Madonna is in America).
>I have noticed not just in Love-Hounds, but from Kate fans and
>"serious music" fans in general, much criticism and many insults
>directed at pop artists such as Kylie Minogue.
>It's fine for Kate fans to not like Kylie or
>Debbie Gibson, or whatever the pop act.  But to insult these artists
>or their music, or imply they are total crap, I think is unfair.

I am not sure if this is intended as a joke because I have never
heard of a Minogue fan who was over 14! Anyway, the reason
many people think Minogue is crap is because she is a fairly mediocre
actress from an abysmal Australian TV soap who was taken up by Stock,
Aitken and Waterman because they saw a way to make a lot of money by
exploiting her "fame" once the BBC started transmitting Neighbours
on British TV. They then proceeded to put out a series of totally
banal singles that could have been sung by almost anyone and would
have been guaranteed to make the charts because the radio DJs are tone
deaf and the kids who buy pop records really don't listen to them after
the first week (patronising but true I am afraid).

Minogue is almost certain to disappear from the music scene within the
next year or two just like her male counterpart Rick Astley who
monopolised the British charts for a while with another set of SA & W
manufactured hit fodder. Happily Astley seems to have faded from
fashion as the 12 year old girls grew up and moved on to Acid House - the
current fad.

>something I wanted to, and felt should, be gotten off my chest.

Well you were brave enough to put your point but I feel the opposite
view also bears repitition.

Neil

P.S. French and Saunders did THE version of "I should be so Lucky" on
the last show of their series - an operatic version!

Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,      BITNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@ukacrl
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon,  OX11 0QX     JANET:     nbc@uk.ac.rl.inf
England                              Tel: (0235) 821900   ext 5740

          Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?