Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kylie vs. Public Ememy :-)

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 05:34:15 -0400
Subject: Kylie vs. Public Ememy :-)

Vickie here.

About Bob Davis & Kylie Minogue:

First, I have Bob to thank for turning me on to one of the most brilliant
women who's ever touched pen to paper, sung the songs written there,
recorded said songs, and sent them out into the world to be discovered:

                         Happy Rhodes

I never, would have ever, heard those brilliant songs if it hadn't been for
Bob, and I owe him a debt of gratitude that I can never hope to even begin
to hope to pay off. Bob, I bow before ye. He also turned me on to Anne
Pigalle and Diamanda Galas. Again, I bow before ye.

But...

Kylie? She's cute & she's got a cute voice. Fine. Nothing wrong
with that. Nothing wrong with anyone liking that sort of thing. I deeply
love pop music. I grew up on it. I happen to believe that there is a large
amount of truly great pop music out there, most of which will never get
airplay on commercial radio stations. Most of what I play I consider pop.
But I look for what I believe is the highest quality pop that will last
forever. Great songs (pop or otherwise) are timeless, they'll be just as
good in 50 or 100 years as they are now.

Stock Aiken Waterman write and produce throwaway pop. The muzic they
release isn't meant to last beyond next week. Kylie sings it, and therefore
becomes an accessory. I have no problems with her not writing her own music
(though I actually admire the fact that Debbie Gibson does) because if I
were that narrow-minded I wouldn't like Mary Coughlin or Julee Cruise,
both of whom I think are wonderful, even though they don't write at all.
If Kylie ever escaped from SAW and released an album that shows that she
can really sing, and respect, good music, I'd be the first to yell hurray.
As long as she stays with them (or their ilk) though, I have no interest in
her. It would be great if she would use her popularity to take control of
her own career and do interesting things but I just doubt that will happen.

When I think of all the amazing, super-talented women (like Happy) who get
ignored and pushed aside and stepped on and degraded and forgotten, while
pop tarts like Kylie get loads of attention, I SEE RED! I GET FURIOUS!
How can Kylie's silly version of "Locomotion" get to be a major hit when
a truly excellent/great/fantastic/blow-you-away version like Dave Stewart &
Barbara Gaskin's get overlooked and ignored? Marketing, cuteness and a very
colorful video, tied in with the mass bad-taste-in-music syndrome.
That's what I think.

Bob, I like you a lot and there's no way I can ever thank you enough for
turning me on to Happy's music. I respect your right to like Kylie, but,
if I want bouncy, get-on-my-feet-and-dance, feel-good pop, I'll put on
something like Monsoon's "Third Eye", which is the greatest pop album ever
recorded.

               All of the above is IMHO, of course.

Druk, btw, Public Enemy and David Duke are opposites of the same coin.
Good music/Bad music, who cares? A racist is a racist is a racist.

                    And THAT'S IMHO also!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com