Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind.

From: think!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!L-H@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 4-Jun-90 22:44:38 PDT
Subject: A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind.

To: Love-Hounds
Fr: Larry Hernandez (l-h@cup.portal.com)
Re: A Kate and Kylie Fan Speaks His Mind
Dt: 5 June 90

Hi Everyone,

I have offered to post the following letter from a long-time Katefan,
Mr. Bob Davis, since he has no access to the group at the current time.
I periodically give Bob printouts of Love-Hounds transmissions, which
he tells me he is extremely grateful for, especially the substantive
posts from _true_ Katefans.  I can certainly vouch for Bob's Kateliness,
as he was one of the very first fanss to turn me on to this wonderful,
wonderful preoccupation.  His letter was prompted by reading the
occasional references, mostly negative, to another of his favorites,
Kylie Minogue, by some contributors to this group.  I have since
learned from Ed S. that many, manymore negative comments about Kylie
are posted to rec.music.misc.  I plan to post Bob's thoughts to that
group as well.

And now, Bob speaks:
___________________

Hi there Kate fans.  First of all, let me say I'm one of
you, at least in the sense of being a Kate fan (since
I first heard her music in late '83).

I believe all types of music have a certain value,
because they all appeal to certain people who have that
taste in music.  I don't think there's anything strange or
wrong in liking two kinds of music that are very different
from each other.  Besides Kate, I like many other people
and groups one might consider having similarities to Kate, at
least in artistic intent.  I'm talking about Peter Gabriel, Roy
Harper, Jane Siberry, and many other acts whose
music could be called artsy or experimental.  I like some acts
in basically every category of music except for opera (though I
still respect opera as an art form).  In addition to non-commercial
artists like Kate, I also like various people and groups in the
field of pop, dance, folk, country, punk, disco, r&b, soul, funk,
rap, reggae, blues, jazz, international, new age, heavy metal, and
classical.

Possibly my favorite female singer in the pop field is Kylie Minogue
(who is as famous in England and Australia as Madonna is in America).
I have noticed not just in Love-Hounds, but from Kate fans and
"serious music" fans in general, much criticism and many insults
directed at pop artists such as Kylie Minogue.  (Note I say "artists,"
not just "acts."  Just because not all pop acts write or produce
their own material doesn't mean they aren't seriously involved
in work, choices, and decisions in the making of the music, and
Kylie is.)  It's fine for Kate fans to not like Kylie or
Debbie Gibson, or whatever the pop act.  But to insult these artists
or their music, or imply they are total crap, I think is unfair.
These singers aren't trying to imitate Kate anyway, they're trying
to honestly do the music that feels right to them.  If lyrics to a
song are simple, saying either something along the lines of having fun,
or telling a love story or something like that, I think there is
worth in that.  I don't want to get too philosophical, but music
is meant to be, or should be, a positive force, and what's wrong
with a basic, feel-good type of thing?  I think to totally slam any
style of music, or any individual artist who is doing their best,
is similiar to slamming music as a whole.  To be accepting of
others' differences is a sign of maturity.

I apologize if I sound preachy or overly accusatory, but this is
something I wanted to, and felt should, be gotten off my chest.

Viva la Kate and viva la musical freedom!

                              - Bob Davis