Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Sun, 27 May 90 11:27:18 PDT
Subject: MisK

Hello, everyone.  I've got a couple of little things.

First of all, the new issue of _Pulse!_ just came out.  (June 1990.)
One of the letters in the Desert Island Discs section is titled:

Only One Kate Bush Fan This Month

The writer, Curt R. Burich of Suburban Philadelphia, PA, lists two Kate
albums in his ten DIDs:

"1. Hounds of Love -- Kate Bush.  Brilliance.  Her voice is beautiful,
whether she's singing or screaming.  The songs she writes stays with you."
[. . .]
"6. The Kick Inside -- Kate Bush.  More beautiful singing from the
then-19-year-old.  She sounds like no one else."

Here are the other eight albums on his list, for comparison:

2. Tusk -- Fleetwood Mac
3. Autoamerican -- Blondie
4. The Beatles -- The Beatles [i.e. the White Album]
5. 1984 -- Eurythmics
7. Home of the Brave -- Laurie Anderson
8. The Queen is Dead -- The Smiths
9. The Wishing Chair -- 10,000 Maniacs
10. 3 Feet High and Rising -- De La Soul

Next, another letter, this time form the June issue of _DISCoveries_,
which also just came out:

MAILBOX CAN'T BE TOO BIG

increasing space devoted to readers' letters.  I just started reading
_DISCoveries_ and missed the issue with an article on Kate Bush, so I sent
a letter asking whether I can obtain a copy of the article, what material
is available by Kate Bush, and where to begin looking.  To me, if
increased space devoted to letters means I and others will find answers to
questions sooner, it's worth the space.
				   John Young
				   6010 California Circle #108
				   Rockville, MD  20852

I've already sent him a photocopy of the _DISCoveries_ article,
but if anybody else wants to write to him, I'm sure he'd appreciate
it.

KITS is doing its annual countdown of the Top 300 Modern Rock Songs
of All Time.  I've been real busy lately, so I didn't get a chance
to vote this year.  I also haven't had much time to listen to them.
But yesterday, I turned the radio on in my car, and the second song
they played was "Running Up That Hill".  It was at #234, down quite
a bit from last year's #192.  But this year, they have a good chance
to play something else from Kate, in particular "The Sensual World".
They always publish a list of all the songs in the countdown afterwards,
so then I'll be able to check.

I'm real late with the _Billboard_ news this week.  The May 26 issue
shows the video collection down to #19 on the Music Videocassette
Sales Chart.  This is its 11th week on the chart, so we can't
complain too much.

The same issue of _Billboard_ has an article describing how VH-1
is changing its rotations again -- they want to emphasize the hits
more, at the expense of the developing acts. :-(  Well, at least
I have proof on videotape that "This Woman's Work" was actually
a Five Star Video once.

Finally, I just got the two new Renaissance compilation CDs:  _Tales
of 1001 Nights_, Volumes 1 and 2.  Wow, are they great!  I'm not sure
I'd choose exactly the same songs for my dream greatest hits
collection, but most of my favorites are here.  These CDs are both
very long -- over 75 minutes each.  And the sound is wonderful!

That's it.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov