Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sandy & Mary & earnest boring folk guy

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 00:50:37 -0400
Subject: Sandy & Mary & earnest boring folk guy

Vickie here.

Jeremy in Our Beloved's homeland writes:

> Hi Vickie, first, thanks for posting your play-lists to the list.
> It's really interesting to see what goes on your show, its a shame I
> cant hear it! - we dont get Kansas radio in the UK :-( One point - why
> arent you playing more Sandy Denny/Fairport Convention stuff on your show.
> Slapped wristies!
> Its one of my greatest regrets that I didnt see Fairport before she died,

Thanks! About Sandy, I'm so sorry she's not around any more and I think
it's so wonderful that Kate included her in "Blow Away" (though I can't
figure out Sid Vicious). How did Sandy die? The story I heard was that
she fell down stairs at her home and broke her neck. She was 30 years old.
Is that true? How sad for music. I don't have her box set but I bought
a wonderful compilation CD with a beautiful booklet put together by
people who were obviously very respectful and loving toward her. That
sort of music isn't really my area of interest so I haven't heard a lot.
Some songs though, just blow me away and move me to tears. "Listen, Listen",
"Blackwaterside" and "Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" are my favorite Sandy songs.

> ...spread the fairport/Denny gospel!.
I did. I've played her quite a bit in the past. You must have missed the
last time I played her during my "Critters Pt. 2" show.

> You could even dedicate it to me :-)
I did! Check out my current playlist.

> Have fun
I do! As long as there's good music to listen to and discover....

------

From: willie@btree (Willie Cummins)

>   On a side note, is Mary Margaret O'Hara's music similar to Jane's ??
> If I like Jane, it sounds like I might like Mary's.

Except for a slightly country flavor of certain songs, Mary's music doesn't
sound anything like Jane's. However, if you like Jane you should like Mary.
The first time I heard her album "Miss America", thirty seconds into the
first song and I was hopelessly and forever in love with her music, her
voice, her lyrics (though they're very obscure) and her singing style. That
style in itself is enough to either draw listeners in or drive them away.
I find it very emotional, moving, touching and fragile. When Mary sings, it's
not by "rote". She puts her entire psyche into her voice. It may take getting
used to (it didn't for me) but if you open your heart and give her a chance,
I think you will fall in love too. She's not going to be an easy person to be
a fan of though because she takes *forever* to record an album. Miss America
took 4 years (off & on) to record and it's only her first! Plus it's not
very...um...complex (that is, not by our Dreaming/Walking standards) so
that isn't the reason why it takes her so long. I'd guess that it must be
so emotionally draining for her to record an album that it's impossible for
her to be prolific. That's just a guess though. Also, she has a very
wonderfully bent sense of humor. She must have come from an amazing family,
because her sister is the actress Catherine O'Hara (Beetlejuice, After Hours,
SCTV). I'd like to meet her parents!

About Scott Merritt:

I have to be perfectly honest. I didn't really like him when he opened for
Jane. He's a good guitarist and he tells funny stories but his songs were
fairly mediocre and his lyrics were excruciating! They sounded like he
sat down and just thought of "deep" lines to string together and sing.
I REALLY hate to say that because he seemed like such a nice guy, very
sincere and earnest. Plus, Jane thought enough of him to have him open
for her. I just can't help it that, during his second song, I found myself
thinking "how many songs has he done, when will he be over? oh no, this is
only his second one! smile vickie, smile and clap politely".
I also can't help wishing that Jane had taken Mary Margaret O'Hara on the
road with her. :-)

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com