Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various, better late than never?

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 00:30:15 -0400
Subject: Various, better late than never?

Vickie here. Jorn, I admire you're willingness to annotate lyrics. (Richard,
that applies to you too! How's it coming with "The Saxophone Song?)

> Where does "Rinfi the gypsy" come from? (in "Playing Canasta", IED's
> lyrics) In the line "Playing canasta, upstairs, downstairs, and in my
> lover's...ooooh!" where is "in my lover's oooh"?
            ^^^^^                           ^^^^
I could be wrong, but I've always heard that line as "...lover's * room *"
                                                                   ^^^^

> I'm in awe of the line "The sheets are soaked by your tiny fish."
Me too!

> Does anyone think "You're Soft/ So Soft" can reasonably be heard as
> a woman singing to a man?

Oh yeah, absolutely. It's a wonderfully sweet song about a sensitive man.
I love the lyrics to that song.

> Finally here is a complete lyric, modified from the IED version, with
> some experiments in syllablizing words the way they sound for ease of
> following as you listen.  (I'm reminded of a certain hot debate about
> "Man with the Child in his Eyes", but will leave it all up to the
> reader's imagination.)

I'm lost. How could "Man..." inspire a "hot debate"? I have an
interpretation that's off the wall but I wouldn't say it was necessarily
"right", it's just what it means to me. It's such an innocent song.
Could someone fill me in on the "hot debate"? My imagination is too
taxed to try & figure it out.

Laura says:

> Herzog's "Where the Green Ants Dream" is from '86 or '87 - definitely
> post "Dreaming"  Maybe the reverse is true...

It's so interesting the this film is being talked about. When we saw it
I wondered if Kate had anything to do with helping to inspire it, even if
in the smallest way. It's a good film but IMHO doesn't have the obsessive
energy of films like Nosferatu, Agurre, the Wrath Of God or my personal
favorite (problems and all), Fitzcarraldo.

> Werner Herzog was in Boston the Sunday before Easter to show his
> latest film and answer questions - unfortunately, I didn't see this
> in the paper until the day after (on a scale of 1-10, if missing
> Kate was 10, missing Herzog was an 8).  Was anyone lucky enough
> to see him?

Wow! I know how you must feel about missing him. I would love to meet him.
What's his latest film??????

Lawrence D'Oliveiro writes:

> That live version of "Running Up That Hill" has David Gilmour
> accompanying Kate and doing backing vocals. The odd thing was
> seeing her standing so still, and not dancing.

I can't imagine why this hasn't been released in America! When we were
in Chicago we visited a video store that had a converted copy of this
for sale (illegal, I do believe...). We didn't buy it because it was
expensive, probably looked awful and we don't like that perfomance on
record anyway. If it's ever officially released in the US we'll probably
buy it, just to be completists.

> Also, was it my imagination, or had she put on some weight?

She likes chocolate. So what? Why ask? Does it matter? Does it affect
her music? Does it affect her lyrics? Does it affect her musicianship?
Does it make you feel any differently toward her? WHO CARES!!!????!!!!???!!!
This theme seems to keep cropping up and I just don't understand why.
Why is it important enough to you to post about it?

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com